18: Butterflies

Lapis continued to drive him and Niya around for a while. From time to time, he would steal a glance at her. She would always be doing something different every time he looked. She would be looking out the windshield, or playing with the door window, pulling it up or lowering it, or sometimes pulling down the visor. He only stopped her when she moved to turn on the radio.

"Don't touch it," Lapis snapped, grabbing her wrist. When he saw Niya's surprised eyes, he elaborated, "It's broken. You'll hurt yourself."

"O-Oh. I see. I'm sorry," Niya apologized, embarrassed for touching things without asking. "It was a little quiet, so I was thinking maybe there was some music on...?"

She trailed off as her wrist began to hurt, making her wince. "U-Um, that kind of hurts..."

Lapis was taken aback at why he was holding on so tight, but then quickly let her go. He put both hands firm on the wheel, turning his eyes to the road.

Niya was greatly surprised that his grip had hurt her. She pulled her arm back and gently rubbed her wrist. There were light red markings when she pulled up her sleeve. Before Lapis could catch a glimpse, she pulled her sleeve back down.

"... Are you alright?" Lapis asked. He tried his best to keep his hands firm on the wheel. Why did he grab her wrist so hard? Was he afraid of something? No, that was impossible. He feared nothing; he feared no one. But the radio... it would talk about the Androids. The constant talk of it would only make him more aware of the fact that he was tricking her, or more like, tricking himself.

When he was with her, he wasn't Android 17 -- he was Lapis. He was a human, just like her. And did he... like it? The fact that she wasn't running away pleading for her life? No one had ever been so kind to him like she was.

Still, he was unused to the idea of being kind to anyone other than his sister. And he was already borderline kind to her. But this girl hadn't done anything to make him upset, other than touch the parts of the truck. It was he who invited her into his truck after all.

Whilst Lapis wasn't looking, Niya formed a bit of crimson ki on the palm of her right hand. Then, she wrapped the hand on the red markings, healing it. She quickly moved her hand away and smiled at Lapis when he finally turned to see her.

"I'm okay. See?" Niya showed him her wrist. It was mark free.

Lapis stopped the truck to get a better look. But, he didn't touch her. Mainly because he was surprised there was no bruising. He stared at her smile, wondering why she was doing so. He had hurt her. Was she not afraid he could again and leave a mark next time? He was so confused by her.

Lapis slightly nodded, turning back to the windshield. "Good," was all he said. Giving apologies wasn't in him. He had always done what he wanted when he wanted, no excuse me's or sorries. He only felt the smallest twinge of guilt in him, but he completely disregarded the feeling.

Niya awkwardly laughed. "I'm sorry for touching everything," she apologized. "You probably think I'm so rude. I should have asked before touching things. I'm sorry for making you upset."

She figured he had grabbed her in such a way because he was annoyed with her and wanted her to stop touching everything. She played with the edge of her skirt, embarrassed with her behavior. He was being so nice to her, and that was how she repaid him?

"It's... fine," Lapis replied. Thinking about the events of the day, he wondered to himself just what was he doing? Maybe this was a mistake. He would always be someone who hurts others. Nothing could change him. Not even the girl. No matter how kind she was, no matter how much she smiled, or how her eyes twinkled...