41: Growing Up

"Trunks?"

He flinched as Noemi waved her hand in front of him.

"Hellooooooo?"

Trunks smiled and took her hand. "Yes, hello, Noemi."

She pouted as he held her hand. "Are you gonna train me today or nah?"

"O-Oh, right. Sorry, I was spacing out," he blushed and stood from his spot on some grass.

"That's mean! I've been ready for a while!" Noemi whined as she picked up her wooden sword.

"Sorry, sorry!" Trunks chuckled and picked up a spare wooden sword. "Alright, we're starting now. When you're ready."

Noemi puffed out a cheek before going serious and sprinting right for him.

The whole while Trunks only put in a fraction of his effort. His distracted thoughts were all of Niya.

~~~

(June, 783 - 2 months later)

"Mama."

Niya stopped her sweeping at her son's tug on her plaid dress. She smiled down at him and crouched. "Hi, Niko," she spoke in her native tongue. She had been making it a habit of speaking in Japanese so he would be used to the language.

Niko returned her smile and handed her a block before hurrying for his other colorful shaped objects.

"Oh, thank you. Do you want to play?" she giggled and followed him.

Niko gathered up his blocks in a pile but groaned in frustration as a red spherical block kept rolling away. It began rolling across the room.

"Oh, no. Let's get it!" Niya began step towards the ball, wanting him to pick up on the cues.

"Get! Get!" Niko hurried and crouched down to pick up the ball, but gave a curious look as he saw some familiar sneakers.

He looked up and smiled. "Papa!" he held up his tiny hands towards him.

Niya hesitated as Seventeen picked up their son and ruffled his already, floofy wavy hair. "O-Oh. You're early today," she tried not to sound too disappointed. She rubbed her arm, avoiding eye contact.

"I've got a surprise for Nicky that I couldn't wait to show him," Seventeen replied, chuckling as the boy pulled on his orange bandanna. He let him yank it off and wave it around.

"Oh. Um. Have fun, Niko," she did her best to smile at her son, giving his cheek a light rub.

"Actually," Seventeen started. "It's a place, and I want you to know where it is."

Niya gave a curious look, trying not to come off as skeptical. "Why?"

"Just follow me. It's not far."

Hesitant, Niya obliged. She cautiously followed after him.

They didn't fly, just walked down a lifeless street with broken cars and buildings. On the ground, the sidewalk was strangely cleared, and Seventeen let Niko walk on the sidewalk beside him. He continued to wave his father's bandanna around.

Niya watched them closely, wrapped a hand around the Red Jewel, sensing around. She didn't want Seventeen to noticed the jewel's glow.

But nothing happened. They kept walking until he spoke up.

"We're here," Seventeen announced. "What do you think, Nicky?" He patted the boy's head.

Niko looked up from his chewing of the bandanna at his father, hesitant.