14: Biggest Fears

Niya waited until she lost Lapis in the crowds and fumes. Surely if she flew, it would freak him out, so she waited until she was alone to take off flying back to Capsule Corp.

The saiyan sensed around for her best friend as she neared, but she sensed him a few ways away. She flew in his direction, growing worrisome at how low his ki was. She powered up, a white aura forming around her, and picked up her pace.

Niya eventually came across a clearing surrounded by trees. They were now stumps, as they had broken, laying on the ground with scattered leaves, branches, and twigs. It looked like a furious disaster.

With wide eyes, Niya carefully landed on the grass. She cautiously stepped over and around the remnants, sensing for Trunks. She could feel him so close, but she couldn't see him.

Could he be underneath everything? Niya thought in a panic.

Niya gasped and cupped her mouth. "Trunks! Where are you?" she called out, her heart beating against her ribs loudly.

The saiyaness didn't waste anymore time. She held out her hands in front of her, crimson energy charging, and released it in one beam. It blew away most of the branches and leaves.

Even then, Niya couldn't see Trunks.

She stepped around, frantically searching. "Trunks! Trunks!" she cried out. Her face felt hot as her eyes burned.

Where could he be? He was so close -- she knew he was! -- yet she couldn't find him. His ki was continuously decreasing, which was terrifying her. Had he been attacked by the Androids? Her skin turned pale at the thought.

Was Trunks...? She didn't dare finish the thought.

No, Niya assured herself, Trunks was alive. He had to be. She just... had to find him.

Niya looked around again, but her vision was blurry. She gasped as droplets spilled onto the grass, sliding down her cheeks. Her body trembled as the raining of tears never seemed to cease.

Trunks... Her beloved Trunks...

Niya shifted her feet to walk, but her knees gave in and she fell on them. Her trembling grew worse as her fear consumed her. "Trunks...!" she managed to cry out in a small squeak. Her fingers dug into the grass, filling her nails with cold, moist dirt.

How could things have gone so wrong so quickly?

From her throat escaped a sob. She was such a failure, such a coward who couldn't save someone she cared for so deeply.

Niya froze and became silent as she heard rustling in some bushes. She quickly wiped her eyes and stood, trying to control her trembling. She needed to be brave. For all she knew, it was probably the Androids, but she was too afraid to check.

As Niya readied to fire crimson energy, she stopped short.

Familiar lavender hair poked out from the bushes, and the young teen pushed himself out from there. He plopped onto his stomach and groaned as he looked up at her.

"Trunks!" Niya gasped and hurried over to him. She pushed him onto his back. "Oh, Trunks, what happened?" She began to frantically search for injuries by rolling up his sleeves and pressing down on his skin.

Trunks groaned and pushed her hands away. He began to sit up, but he winced as he sat up all the way. "Just... training..."

Niya frowned and made him lay down. As Trunks opened his mouth to protest, she hushed him by placing a hand on his mouth. Trunks spoke in a muffled voice and tried to pull her hand away, but Niya's scowl made him stop resisting.