7: I'll Be There for You

It was one of the many times Trunks and Niya had a sleep over, and they would continue spending time together as they grew older. They became inseparable best friends, and they were both content with their relationship.

As the years flew by, the two young Saiyans became stronger. They took on training from Natu, who was insistent on instructing them to defend themselves. Natu explained that he was once a servant boy but was later trained as a lower-class warrior. He was only sorry Makona wasn't able to train them since she was the strongest in their family. When Niya inquired more about her family's past, Natu gently smiled and replied, "Soon, Princess."

Niya knew it was only a matter of time before she no longer saw her brother at home. She soon forgot to care since she spent most of her days in the Briefs abode. She had even claimed her own room and decorated it to her liking. The young Saiyan began disliking her own home. It was only when she was gathering some of her stuff at home did her Auntie Ken-La inform her Kusuke had moved out to marry Kandice. No one had heard of him since. The little sister was hurt Kusuke hadn't invited her, even if it was a small wedding. She grew a strong dislike for Kandice, and was heartbroken by her brother's decision. He had chosen a girl over their family. Niya decided to stay the night.

She laid on her bed, surrounded by her childhood memories. She was now eleven and was nostalgic as she looked around her room. She looked at her small pajamas, old toys, drawings, and books. She didn't like looking at them. Her pajama and toys made her feel weak. The Japanese books reminded her of when she could barely speak English. It made her upset at how much she had been shielded her whole life. She was finally free.

As she lied in bed reading an English book, Niya heard a knock on her door. "Yes?" she replied.

When the door opened, Niya spotted long curly locks of black hair. The girl sat up with wide eyes.

"Hello, Niyata," the woman spoke. "It's been a while, daughter."

Niya flinched at her full name. It was strange hearing her mother's voice and much more seeing her walking around. She swallowed her surprise. "Hello... mother," she answered. She wondered how their relationship would've been if Makona wasn't constantly ill. The girl felt she was talking to a stranger.

Makona smiled patiently. She wore a white long-sleeves and a loose, red dress on top that draped until her ankles. It was strange for the both of them, but Makona was making an effort. "May I enter?" she asked.

Niya nodded.

Mother and daughter sat next to each other on the small bed. Neither were ready for the discussion to come.

"Niyata--"

"I prefer 'Niya'," the girl interrupted.

Makona's smile faltered. Her heart ached from how little she knew of her only daughter. "Very well," Makona composed herself. "Niya," she continued, "I know I haven't been here for you since you can remember, but I've always tried my best to recover, not only for you but for your brother as well. I know I've missed you growing up, and I haven't heard of your new experiences, your friends, or even your likes and dislikes. So, I've been meaning to apologize for causing you pain or loneliness. I'm sorry, Niya, for not being the mother you deserve, because -- sweetie, my love, my heart, my world! -- you deserve all that is good." Both daughter and mother had tears streaming down their faces. "I don't know if you remember me ever saying that I love you, but I do! I love you, Niya, more than you can ever imagine. A mother can never, ever not love their children. And I know we don't have a bond, but I want to make one with you, if you'll allow me to..."

The girl didn't know those were the words she had been yearning to hear. "Mom...," Niya's voice broke. She couldn't find the words. She didn't know what to say or do. Old wounds had been opened, and it would take a while for them to heal again. She quickly wiped her face. "Mom, I'm glad you feel that way, but an apology isn't going to change everything. Words mean nothing without action. So, if you want to really be my Mom, show me."