53: On the Edge

Kusuke stared at his best friend. Gohan is the only person strong enough to beat Cell...? he mentally questioned. He thought back to his time with the young half-saiyan.

He recalled a few times during their training sessions that Gohan had indeed surprised him and gained the upper hand, but that was it. Gohan indeed showed great promise as a warrior, but... he remembered that Gohan's aspiration wasn't to be a fighter like his father. He wanted to be a great scholar, as he told Kusuke.

So, just what exactly did Goku have in mind sending in a light-hearted boy like Gohan to fight someone filled with pure evil like Cell?

Kusuke greatly worried for his friend. He wasn't growing fond of the image of cackling Cell with dead Gohan.

"Has he lost his mind?!" Piccolo questioned their thoughts aloud. "Is he really going to send his own son to his death?!" He sounded furious.

Kusuke clenched his fists. He furrowed his brows worriedly at Gohan, but his friend didn't turn to him.

Then, they could tell that Goku's decision was legit when he flew over to his son and said, "You can do it." He wore a smile that said he was certain in his decision.

Gohan, however, was still surprised. "Me," he questioned, "fight Cell?"

Kusuke held a hard look towards the saiyan father. How can he do this?

"Come to your senses, Goku! How can he do this?" Piccolo demanded. "He has grown remarkably, but this is Cell -- someone who not even you stood a chance against!"

Kusuke felt angry at Goku's calm smile. How can Goku act this way towards his son?

~~~

"Thanks," Goku took it, but he looked up at Cell in the sky. "Cell!" he called his attention and threw him the senzu instead.

Cell didn't disregard it. He caught it and examined it.

"That's a senzu bean," Goku explained. "It'll heal your battle wounds."

Did he just assure Gohan's death?! Kusuke thought furiously. "Goku, what the hell are you doing giving him one of those?!" he demanded.

"Cell's exhausted," Goku replied simply. "It wouldn't be a fair fight."

"What?!" Kusuke frowned, "Who cares about it being fair! If we don't beat Cell, he's gonna kill all of us! You do realize that, don't you?"

Goku didn't reply. He just stood there with a calm smile.

Kusuke was infuriated.

Cell chuckled, "You fool. Always playing the hero." He looked down at the bean. "I won't deny, of course. And surely, you'll regret this."

Everyone watched with dread as Cell popped the senzu in his mouth.
Cell smirked and then powered up.

"Ahhh!" his golden aura expanded around him. He laughed, very pleased. "I see. So these are good!" His enormously powerful ki haunted over them now that he had regained his strength.

"Don't blame me!" Krillin held up his hands.

Gohan's going to die..., Kusuke thought sorrowfully. He wanted to go in and save his friend, but he knew Cell would stop him and probably kill him. He clenched his fists as he realized he had to go along and allow the match to happen.

Kusuke reached up and gripped the Red Jewel on his neck. Even with its power, he wasn't strong enough, he knew. He knew he wasn't as strong as Cell, even with his entire year of training in the Time Chamber. He sighed, seeing in how pathetic he was.