8: You're Not Alone

With each passing day, the best friends grew closer. They shared their troubles and comforted each other. As long as they were together, they would be alright. They continued to grow older.

On the television, Natu slid in a VHS tape, and when the infamous theme song began to play, him and the two children began to dance and sing. "SO NO ONE TOLD YOU LIFE WAS GONNA BE THIS WAYYYY..." They clapped in sync. The three sat in the living room and watched their favorite show. The children sat on the floor and Natu on the couch. Some jokes went over Niya's head because she was still learning English, but mostly all the dirty jokes were too advanced for both children. Even so, it was fun watching the flamboyant characters and it made the children happy. Watching a show together was the closest to normal they would get.

They intently watched their favorite gang of friends. Monica was pacing around, almost crying since she also wanted a baby, like Ross' ex-wife, Carol, who was currently in labor at the hospital. She was going on about not having a boyfriend and how she wondered why she wasn't married. Chandler, amused and somewhat concerned for Monica, stroke a deal with her, "If neither of us are married by the time we're 40, let's get married. You and me."

Monica wasn't amused. She placed her hands on her hips and retorted, "Why wouldn't I be married by the time I'm 40?"

Natu chuckled.

Niya eyed curiously at the boy next to her. He was pouting, "Well, I know I wouldn't want to marry Monica. She's too weird. All she cares about is cleaning."

The girl smiled, then motioned for the boy to scoot closer. He raised a brow but still leaned towards her. She cupped his ear and whispered, "If by the time we're 40, and neither of us are married, will you marry me?"

Trunks instantly flushed a deep red. The thought of being married to his best friend was strange. Would they no longer be best friends? Would they be something different? Would they have to be romantic with each other and kiss and... He didn't let his thoughts wonder too far. If it meant being with his best friend forever, it made him happy. They would never be lonely if they had each other.

Niya waited for Trunks' reply as she continued to eye the TV screen. The boy leaned in and replied, "Sure. We'll have the best wedding ever." The children met each other's eyes and giggled.

"Alright, sounds great," Niya smiled. She grasped his left arm and rested her head on his shoulder. "It'll be our special promise."

Trunks didn't want to be romantically involved with Niya. He didn't want to ruin their friendship if it didn't work out. Also, there were more concerning things to worry about. The world was in peril, so he didn't want to feel entirely relaxed just yet. His smile faded, then turned to the TV.

"What are you two kids going on about?" Natu asked, the side of his lips pulling up in a slight smirk.

Niya turned towards her father, slightly pouting, "Nandemonai."

The father chuckled, "If you say so."

Trunks wore a puzzled expression. He still hadn't gotten around to learning much Japanese, and he felt bad about it. He wanted to know a language his friend was passionate about, but when he asked Niya to teach him, she said it wasn't necessary.

Trunks carefully unwrapped Niya's arms from his, and they all continued to watch the show.

The front door swung open and slammed shut. Two female voices were heard. Niya's stomach dropped. She focused entirely on the TV.

"Sweetie, what would you like to eat today?" Makona asked.

Natu thought for a moment then hurried towards the kitchen. "Is there enough for curry?" he asked, mouth practically drooling.