34: The Sword of Hope

(January, 783 - A few days later)

"I said enough, Niya. This isn't negotiable anymore."

The saiyaness stared quietly with tears streaming down her cheeks. "How am I just supposed to trust you with him? You're a monster, Seventeen," she cried.

Seventeen frowned. "Just hand him over. The kid needs his father. And as his father, of course I'll make sure he's safe."

Niya looked down at Niko in her arms. He had a pacifier in his mouth, and his eyes lids were drooping. He was so cute and tiny and innocent, that she just wanted to keep him all to herself.

Why did his father have to be Android Seventeen?

The Android sighed. "Niya. Please," he spoke gentler. "I haven't seen him in months."

"You shouldn't. Not after all that you've done," Niya turned away, remembering the recent death of her brother and sister-in-law.

"I love him, Niya," he continued. "I want to be with him," he reached out a hand to gently caress the boy's head.

Niko was just about asleep, clinging to his mother.

Niya held back a sob. "Do you promise that you won't kill anyone or anything while you have him?"

Seventeen sighed. "I already told you—"

"Just promise me one more time."

After a moment, he said, "I promise, Niya."

She bit her lip before nodding. "Okay..."

Niko was then shifted into Seventeen's arms. He slightly squirmed, but seemed to remain asleep.

Seventeen smirked. "Finally."

Niya sank to her knees, sobbing into her hands.

He stared down at her. "We could all live together as a family, but you turned it down. This is all your fault, Niya. Remember that."

With those last words, Seventeen blasted off with his son.

~~~

(March, 784 - One year later)

Niya flinched awake. She turned in bed and saw Niko curled up beside her. It had been a year since then. He was over a year old now. How time flew.

She reached over and gently caressed his head of wild wavy hair. It was like hers.

Niko groaned and turned over. His Saiyan tail wriggled lightly as he settled into place. It was also like hers.

Niya rested on her side to watch him sleep. Her recently regrown tail wriggled lightly behind her.

In some cases, when Saiyans felt extremely threatened and cornered, their cut tails could regrow.

She quietly sighed as she thought about tomorrow. Niko would be going with his father again. He would be gone for a few days, just like a piece of her heart.

"I love you, Niko," she whispered.

After a while she managed to go back to sleep.

~~~

(January, 783 - One year earlier)

After the exchange, Niya flew back numbly to Capsule Corp.

Trunks was waiting outside for her, and he hurried over to her once he saw her. "Niya...," was all he could say as Niko was nowhere to be seen.

She reached for him and cried into his chest. "He took him! He really took him!"