27: Addiction

(July, 782)

Niya couldn't sleep that night.

When she had gotten home, her Aunt lectured her tearfully about returning so late, but all the while, her thoughts were on Eighteen.

That woman was always so beautiful. But back then...Eighteen was covered in blood.

Whose blood was it? Why was she covered in it in the first place? Why did...she want to kill Niya? Why so badly?

And most importantly, what had Eighteen meant by her strange message?:

"Don't say a word," Eighteen scowled. "You might think you have my brother around your little fingers, but you don't know him like I do. He can only hold back for so long before he'll finally come to his senses."

She smirked, leaning in closer. "Soon, you'll find out what he really is."

Niya shuddered as she laid in bed, hugging herself after running the scene again in her head.

She knew Lapis was a good person. He had to be. He worried for her and her family, and he always spoke playfully about his sister.

What else was there to him? Did Lapis have some dark secrets?

The endless possibilities bounced inside the walls of her head.

But every time, Niya tried to shake them away. Lapis was a good man. He was her boyfriend, and she loved him.

She thought back to when her and Lapis had first met. She bit her thumb as she remembered how he glared and pointed a gun at her.

Would he really have shot her?

Niya sighed and thought back to his warnings at the rock bridge. He told her he was dangerous, and demonstrated his power before flying off.

Sure, great power could be dangerous, but only under the hands of the wrong people.

And the last time he had acted in such a self-depreciating manner was before they had coupled. He kept calling himself scum and selfish.

Who was she to judge Lapis for who he was in the past?

She was sure that a lot of people had hard lives, trying to cope with the lives the Androids had forced them in, and perhaps Lapis was doing what he had to do to keep him and his sister alive.

But Lapis was different than the cold man he was when they first met.

Lapis was kind, sweet, charming, and absolutely dreamy.

Niya smiled at the thought of him and blushed as she remembered what they had done before falling asleep. They had both been naked together. They had shared many passionate, love-filled kisses for one magical night.

She sat up, reaching to drink from a cup of water.

How could anyone who had done such an intimate act be vile, viscous, or dangerous?

Eighteen had to be wrong. The only one who was any of those terrible things was Eighteen. Who knew what exactly Eighteen had done to get blood on her clothes, but she had obviously told her her desire of killing Niya.

Who could she tell? Lapis? Would he believe her over his sister?

Everything was so complicated, Niya shut her eyes tight, and eventually fell asleep.

~~~

"Is everything alright?"

Niya blinked and looked up from her breakfast. "Did you say something?"