Chapter 11 - Tears not Enough

Author's POV

Author's POV

"Do it Bheem."

"Bhrata I can't."

"You vowed to do it. Fulfill your vow."

"Bhratashree-"

"I said Bheem do it."

"Bhratashree, I said that in a fit of rage."

"Bheem, you vowed it. I said do if." Bheem gulped and moved towards his elder brother whose eyed were still covered.

"If that is the case Yudhishthir, then you all should burn me whole. It all started with me, with my vow, with my donation." Karna, who was silent since the whole thing started, finally spoke. He was still numb, broken from inside.

He thought that there is some kindness or some compassion in his old friend. But alas, how wrong he was. He thought that his friend was manipulated and in future, his friend will realize. But all his hopes, all his expectations went down the drain.

"Bhratashree-"

"What Arjun? Do you think my actions can be justified? I donated my own family, my brothers and my wife. I should've been your shield. But what did I do? Donated you all like alms? Heck, I didn't utter a word when my wife and sister in law were insulted in front of the entire sabha." Karna finally let his anger and guilt surface.

"But jyesht, it was your vow. You couldn't have done anything." Arjun tried to pacify his brother.

"If that's the case, even Yudhishthir is not at fault. A kshatriya can't deny an invitation to a dual and dyut. He shouldn't be punishing himself either." Karna stood up.

"I'm not punishing myself jyesht. My actions are punishing me. I don't want Bheem to go back on his words." Yudhishthir spoke. His voice as dead as his soul.

"But Yudhishthir-"

"Jyesht please." Everyone fell silent after that. No one spoke a word. The only sound that was heard was of the burning fire and the aggressive winds of Indraprasth.

With nervous and small steps, Bheem approached his elder brother who stood near fire. Bheem's hands turned sweaty as he reached his brother, the mighty warrior tried to take deep breaths to fulfill his oath.

Oath

It was all about oaths and vows that destroyed the kuru kingdom and their predecessors. The oaths and vows they took ate the foundation of dharma. Not even the oaths, but the blind following of oaths and vows ruined everything.

With shaky hands, Bheem held the hands which caught him when he used to fall from the mango tree, the hands which held him when he cried. With one last thought and stoic face, he lead his brother's hands towards the fire the burnt in front of them because they were the same hands which held the dice.