Chapter 37 - Bed of Arrows

Unedited

Unedited

Author's POV

The conch shell blew as soon as the sun decorated the morning sky. The chirping of the birds was silenced by loud war cries and reining horses. The loud trumpets of elephants echoed while the cavalries took their positions as instructed by their masters.

Sagarika rushed into her makeshift room ignoring the beads of sweats that made her own nose scrunch in disgust.

"Maa I did all you said. I brought these  herbs as per vaidyaji's instructions. I've told Mauravi kaki to inform everyone that I am sick and you will be here, taking care of me. She also informed everyone that due to the fear of any sort of diseases spreading into the camp." She breathed out and waited for her mother to react who just hummed in response and went back to applying neem leaves to Devika's wounds. She carefully trotted towards the bed and sat at the end of the bed.

"Who is she maa?" Sagarika asked in a hushed tone and noticed her mother's movements halting for a brief moment. If not for her observant gaze, she would've missed the stiff of her mother's body.

"She is the princess of Sivi, Rajkumari Devika." Aahana answered quietly.

"How do you know her?" Sagarika couldn't keep her curiosity at bay and so continued. In an attempt to help her mother, she got up and took the bowl of kadha. With the help of a leaf, she made an unconscious Devika drink it drop by drop.

"She visited Indraprasth with her father before Rajsuya yagya. They-" Aahana stopped for a moment and running her tongue on her dried lips, she continued.

"Her father offered her hand in marriage to your father." Sagarika looked up at her mother.

"And baba must've refused." Aahana hummed again and wiped her hands with the cloth, waiting for Devika to wake up.

Millions of questions ran through her head and one possibility that made her shiver which might also be the cause of her mother's worry.

"Uhm...maa?" Aahana turned around to look at her daughter who had already set the bowl aside. Flickering her gaze between the princess and her mother, she spoke cautiously.

"Do you think she attempted suicide because of that rejection?" Sagarika asked quietly, afraid that she might offend her mother or she said something she shouldn't have.

"No Sagarika. Absolutely not." Instead of a fear leaden voice that she expected of her mother, she got her answer in a very confident voice.

"I know Devika at least that much. She is a very smart woman. A woman of principles, a woman who is smart and courageous enough to stand for herself, to claim her rights and who is not afraid to say what is in her mind. She is extremely brave and I'm sure she will rule Sivi better than any kimg could have."