Chapter 48 - Fresh Start

Unedited

Unedited

Author's POV

The entire palace buzzed with celebrations. The air smelled of flowers and burning furnaces coming straight from the palace kitchens. After a long mourning and screams of death, there was some celebration in the palace. As promised to late Maharaj of Matsya, Abhimanyu and Uttara were getting married today. Maharani Sudeshna teared up looking at her daughter dolled up as a bride. Having lost everyone, she was her only family left and to see her settled was her only dream of life.

Everyone blessed the newly married couple. Abhimanyu looked at Aahana hesitantly who was standing at last with Draupadi. After taking Draupadi's blessings, he turned towards her. He was afraid whether she would even bless him or not. After Anant's death, he was guilt ridden and with the way Aahana behaved, he was sure she hates him now.

Aahana looked at the newly wedded couple. How she wanted Anant and Chhavi to marry this way too but destiny had other plans. When Abhimanyu stood in front of her, she understood his hesitation. She has not been a good aunt to him since a very long time and she knew it. But things have changed now, she has accepted the reality. Now she wouldn't waste her remaining life, rather enjoy it to the fullest.

Aahana smiled at Abhimanyu and cupped his face. For a moment, Abhimanyu was shell shocked but as she kissed his forehead, his eyes welled up.

"Just because you are married now, doesn't mean you are not my baby. You will always remain that."

"Maasi ma-" Aahana shook her head cutting him mid sentence.

"I know Abhimanyu, I haven't been really good to you without you being at fault. Forgive me?" she finished off as Abhimanyu blinked rapidly to swallow his tears. Overwhelmed by emotions, he hugged Aahana tight, suddenly feeling light and liberated. Aahana smiled and patted his head. Everyone smiled at the exchange as finally things started falling back at place. The couple touched Aahana's feet to get her blessings.

"Akhand saubhagyawati bhava." She smiled and patted Uttara's cheek.

"Now you two better make us grandparents real soon." Draupadi teased as the couple blushed on queue.

"You be a grand maa. I'm too young to be one." Aahana sassed dramatically as the family shared a good laughter.

"Absolutely Aahana. You are just a few months older than Uttara after all." Aahana zeroed her eyes at her brother who pulled her leg in front of everyone.

The rest of the evening passed peacefully with eveyone celebrating.

Aahana paced around her room, waiting for her husband. She nervously played with the end of her dupatta while biting on her lower lip. She knew that to start everything afresh, she had to apologize to one person and that was her husband. She has been unfair to him the most. In her turmoils, her pain she forgot that he was the one who she was hurting the most. He too lost the same people as her, maybe even more while he had to hold onto his emotions as well. He had to fight a war, see his wife and family suffer and yet feel helpless and guilty about it. When he needed her the most, she wasn't there for him. If she was a culprit to someone, it was her husband.