Chapter 6 - Surrender to fate

Unedited

Unedited

Author's POV

Aahana moved towards her and Yudhishthir's old room in Hastinapur. They were assigned that room for the day. She felt a bit better and light after talking to Draupadi. She entered her room to find her husband sitting on the bed, without any jewelry, just like a few moments back with his head hung low.

She so wanted to embrace him, cry to him, tell him to run away from this place, tell him about the true definition of dharma but couldn't bring herself to do so. She was relieved that at least her husband knew the true intentions of his cousins.

She moved towards him with slow and small steps and sat beside him on the bed. No one spoke a word. They were so quiet that they could hear each other's breaths and heartbeats. Their hands rested on the bed, side by side, their fingers touching which were probably not enough to provide enough support and solace.

"I don't know how to play chausar. I like it but I don't know how to play it."  He started the conversation, not knowing how to.

"I know." She said. He sensed her cold behavior.

"Are....are you angry?" He whispered. He was anxious since the time she came here. He was not expecting her to come at their rescue. But looks like she has a habit of shocking him.

"Angry? Nope.
Hurt? Maybe." She whispered and he sighed.

"Aahana I was bound by jyeshta's order."

"No. You were bound by your false dharma." She whispered again and he looked at her shocked.

"Aahana? What are you saying?" he asked bewildered. She didn't answer any further as they both fell silent again.

"Do you remember that night in Dwaraka? What I told you?" She said after a few minutes. Today her words were not laid with love, they were monotonous. He tried to decipher any feelings in her words but failed. He remembered the conversation.

"Why do you follow dharma, dharmraj?"

"Because a life lived by following the path of dharma is an ideal life. We should follow dharma at each and every point of our lives."

"What if there is a situation where to protect dharma you will have to do adharm?"

"There can be no such situation Aahana."

"Why can't there be? Okay, what if there is?"

"Then I'll follow dharma even if the conditions are against me. What would you do?"

"That is where you and I differ. If to defeat adharm, we have to perform a little adharm then that adharm is considered as dharm. In that situation, adharm is the dharm. You just have to identify."