Chapter 38 - Dread

Unedited

Unedited

Author's POV

The rustling of the leaves echoed, disturbing silence of the night. Contrary to it's nature, this night did not bring any peace or rest to hearts. All it brought with itself was unrest, heartbreaks and end of an era. No soul that night slept peacefully except one. In this eerie night, a girl clad in simple turquoise saree walked carefully towards her destination with her right hand held high, holding onto the lamp.

On hearing the rustling of bushes, the warrior resting on the stone pavement near the pond caught hold of his dagger crafted out of finest tusks. He breathed a sigh of relief on the familiarity of the silhouette. Setting the lamp aside, the girl sat close to the boy on the rock who then wasted on time bringing the girl close to himself.

"You have no respect of time." He joked to which he rolled her eyes.

"Well I'm not a warrior like you to value it either."

"Time should be valued by everyone, be it a warrior or a normal person."

"Try being punctual when you have to sneak out in the middle of the night with your roommate being a warrior yourself." The boy chuckled.

"Fine. You win. Sagarika di knows that you sneaked out?" Anant asked to which Chavi just hummed.

"I guess she does but she doesn't mention it. So it's good I suppose." They fell into comfortable silence for a few minutes which was broken by Chavi.

"What's wrong Anant?" He didn't answer as she continued.

"What's bothering you Anant?" her voice gentler this time as she drew patterns on his chest.

"I don't know Chavi but something seems really off. I just don't know." He paused as she waited patiently for him to continue.

"Till yesterday, everyone wanted Mahamahim Bhishma off the field. They wanted him dead but now when he is on deathbed, everyone is behaving as if this is probably the darkest time they have seen. No one behaved so even when the war was declared." Anant sighed.

The victory of the day didn't feel like a victory. The day that should be celebrated in the camp of pandavas was the day of mourning and Anant didn't understand why.

"He is one of the greatest warriors to ever exist Anant. He is respected all over Aryavart. With what I've heard, he has been a father figure to all panduputras. Losing him is like losing a father again." Anant got up abruptly and walked up closer to the riverine.

"I respect him Chavi. I respect him as a warrior but I cannot bring myself to respect him as a person. I...I just can't. I cannot relate with my father or my uncles when they talk about him." He sighed. Chavi got up as well, walking closer to her lover.

"Probably because you never lived with him?"

"Or probably because he stayed silent during dyut?" Anant's answer made Chavi fall silent.