Epilogue

Unedited

Yudhishthir's POV
(Surprise)

"It's time, it's the time when I have to leave everything and go love. I have to leave everything we worked hard for to achieve in this materialistic word. It's hard but not impossible." I chuckled before taking a deep breathe. The solemn expression on my face changed, melancholy clear on my face reminiscing the day's events.

"Everything is finished. All is gone. Nothing is left. Since the day you left, nothing has been same. I led a normal life but there was unrest, a certain uneasiness. I seemed normal but I wasn't. Really." I rolled the ring in my finger before removing it, the last piece of jewelry on me was off.

Feels oddly satisfying and liberating.

"You must know by now, they've left. No one is there. Everyone left me." My tears had drained by now, as if the reservoir of tears had run off after all these years.

"After Shri Krishna, there is nothing left for us. His departure is like a wake up call that we have done our jobs and we have to depart too. Our future is now in hands of Parikshit. I'm sure Uttara will give him all the values for being the rightful king. I'm sure. You know he is barely five right now but he is so mature for his age." I couldn't help but laugh slightly recalling my grand son's shenanigans. He really is one of a kind.

Abhimanyu, his wives, Varad, Varnika, sons and daughter in laws of Draupadi were in Dwaraka when that mishap happened. Along with Dwaraka, all of them ceased to exist. With submergence of Dwaraka, all our lives came crashing down in the high waves of the sea.

"He amazes me at times you know. Talks of big things like dharma, nishtha and what not. Uttara, even after all the hardships is doing her job as a mother perfectly, without an ounce of carelessness. Even after receiving the news, she did not lack from taking care of him or making him perform his daily rituals. Never did she let her tears or pain reflect on her in front of her son."

I let my hand cascade down my wife's long, black hair. They were just a part of her perfect self but always resonated her personality perfectly. Tangled but smooth, dark but at the same time so soothing to touch, feel and even look.

A knock disturbed the silence as I pulled my hand off her painting abruptly. Quickly wiping my tears, I answered the door.

"Arya, everyone is waiting for your arrival for the ceremony." Devika entered and I sighed.

It was the time I had to pass on my power to someone else, to my next generation so I can let go all my connections with this world before going. I nodded at her but stopped her before she could leave.

She looked at me with a confused expression as I held her by her shoulders. She was upset but did not say a word which honestly amazed me always. I did not understand how she was so quiet and gentle with everything that was happening around her. There would be so much chaos around her but she would never ever let anyone feel that she is troubled. Rather, she would always be calm and composed about it, something that always surprised me.