Chapter 41 - Trail of curses

Unedited

Unedited

Author's POV

Greatly affected by the death of his nephew who was no less than his son, Arjun took an oath to kill Jaydrath before sunset or he would burn himself if failed to do so. Anant's last rites were not conducted. Karna vowed that only after Jaydrath's burning pire will the rites of their nephew begin.

The next day the pandavas and Karna stepped into the battlefield to bathe in blood. No one was able to see the day's sunset who came in front of the six brothers that day.

The kauravas however, were no less. Even they wanted revenge, revenge of their heir's death. The entire kuru army was livid on the death of their prince. They all were burning in the fire of revenge. By the time the war had begun, they had figured that Sagarika had killed their son as Duryodhan found her sword near his lifeless son.

"Karna!" Duryodhan screamed as he challenged Karna for a dual.

"Sagarika did not do right." Fury danced in his eyes as Karna tightened his hold on his mace now.

"As if your son was any right." Karna said as both the warriors circled around in a challenging tone.

"I won't stop until I kill Sagarika." Duryodhan challenged and his statement made Karna's blood boil.

"Before that you will have to kill her father and all her uncles which you are not capable of."

"Such love for an orphan, a bastard ch-" before Duryodhan could complete, Karna attacked him making Duryodhan stumble back, blood oozing out of his mouth.

Both the warriors engaged in a fierce dual which no one ready to give up.

The entire battlefield again bathed of blood and the bloodbath did not stop until sunset.

With Shri Krishna covering the sun with his sudarshan and creating a delusion of sunset, Arjun was able to complete the oath he had taken.

The day was again over with infinite number of bodies waiting to be burned on the pire.

Bhanumati reached the kuru camp in a disheveled state followed by her mother in law. As soon as the news of her son's demise reached her, she couldn't control herself from seeing him for the last time.

"Bhanu?" Duryodhan stood up slightly taken aback seeing his wife in the battle ground. She stumbled upon plain ground but Duryodhan held him.

"Easy easy." He tried to calm her down but failed.

"Lakshman? Where is he? Please tell me the news that reached me was nothing but a big fat lie. Answer me arya!" She asked, her breathing uneven. Duryodhan bent his head down as he couldn't meet her eyes. This answered all her doubts. Duryodhan moved aside, not letting his hold on her loosen as she came across her son, lying life less on the ground wrapped in a white sheet.