- B A B E -

juniper's pov:

"Junebug!" My father called from downstairs, "James!"

I jolted awake, bleary eyed. Oh shit. My alarm was still ringing. I swear it's always on the first day back to school I sleep like a truck. Frantically, I scrambled to pull some clothes on, tripping over the shoes I'd casually thrown over my shoulder last night. The lingering days of summer had passed far too quickly for my liking.

Teddy was back to normal. Partially anyways. He was more subdued lately. I suspected that was the fault of the full moon though and had nothing to do with me. I honestly didn't know what was going on there. He was treating me differently. I just couldn't put my finger on why. What changed?

I think he was going to tell me. That night at the World Cup. I pretended I was asleep. He hadn't pressed the subject since, which I was grateful for. What if it was bad? I don't know. I took the easy way out, yeah, but it was for my own sanity. I can't be getting mixed up in all this again. I was a new Juniper. And new Juniper didn't obsess over Teddy Lupin's every move.

Besides, I had found a new obsession. Whatever was going on with my parents. Every time one of us kids walked in the room they would abruptly stop talking. It was all extremely suspicious. I admit, I'd tried to probe my mum a few times, but she was just too damn good at blocking. She could always tell when James and I entered her mind.

"Coming Dad." I yelled, rushing out of the room.

"Oof!" I ran straight into Teddy's chest.

"Sorry Lupin." I straightened myself up, waiting for the biting response or subtle dig about my clumsiness.

"It's alright." He reached out as if to pat me on the shoulder, but stopped mid-movement, averting his eyes. "See you downstairs."

I blinked, watching him go down the stairs. What the fuck was that? I almost wanted him to tease me. To pull my ponytail and give me that annoying smirk. Anything was better than this odd grey Teddy. Ugh. Why couldn't he be normal?

I slid down the banister, shoes in hand, "Here Dad." He was busy at the stove, pouring himself a cup of tea. Cali was already at the table, quietly eating a piece of toast. All around me family bustled, Nessa and Rosie double checking their trunks, Leo and his siblings talking with Aunt Gin. Charlie being fussed over by Aunt Mione while Uncle Ron guffawed. James and Teddy wrestling in the living room. The usual scent of coffee in the morning wasn't there. I furrowed my brow in confusion, "Dad?" I tapped him on the shoulder, "Where's mum?"

"Oh- er...her and your uncle got called away." My father adjusted his glasses, something he always did when he was lying.

"But- she's always here for the first day." I knew I sounded whiny, but it was true. Not once had mum missed an important event. She never let her job interfere with her family, never.

"You know how it is. Auror business and all that. Probably just busywork." He brushed me off airily, taking a sip of his tea and pasting a smile on his face. His words sounded forced, and his smile was tight at the edges. "You all ready to go Junebug?"

"Yeah." I sighed.

"If she could be here she would Junie." My dad ruffled my hair like he used to when I was little.

"I know." I said, heading to pick up my trunk from the foyer. It just didn't feel right without Mum asking us for "one calm first day", and drinking at least three cups of coffee before we woke up.

The out of place feeling continued when we arrived at the train station. All of us acutely aware that we were missing two links on our chain. We said our goodbyes and Dad promised to let us know as soon as he got any word about Mum. He was trying to stay upbeat for all of us, but James and I knew he was worried. Which meant we were worried.