E P I L O G U E

Clouds gathered thickly over the tops of the London skyscrapers, a thick fog settling amid the reflective buildings. A woman walked through the streets, boot heels clicking on the cobblestones. Her sleek, black ponytail swished behind her, head held high with a certain confidence. A gold chain glinted around her neck, as she adjusted the collar of her leather jacket.

A phone buzzed in the back pocket of her dark blue jeans. "Crap," she said, answering it. "Hello?"

"Are you almost here?"

"James I don't have time for this," Juniper upped her brisk pace, checking the ornate watch encircling her wrist.

"You know what I don't have time for?" Her brother retorted, "My very pregnant wife hurling various heavy and sharp, objects at me if you are not on time."

"Relax," Juniper rolled her eyes. "I will be there on time."

"With the ice cream?"

"Yes," Juniper said tiredly, "with the ice cream."

"Because you know that we were supposed to have it and then we found out it was expired which was somehow my fault and now—"

"The ice cream is covered, James." Juniper reassured him, bell ringing as she stepped into Fortescue's.  He still had zero faith in her capabilities to perform any task, however simple.

Despite the fact that they'd been an Auror team for nearly twenty years. You'd think she'd gain some trust, at least to pick up a pint of ice cream to go with the pie he'd made. But no. Instead she was being accosted with midday phone calls.

"And you're sure Teddy has no idea?"

"Absolutely."

It was Teddy's fortieth birthday today, and although he'd said he hadn't wanted to make a big fuss, Juniper had ignored him. Completely and totally.

Rory and James were hosting a huge surprise party at their place tonight. Everything was going to plan, that is, except for the freak out over the ice cream.

Her brother and sister in law both got exceedingly more stressed when with child. Juniper remembered the first time around all too vividly.

Let's just say there were lots of broken vases at their house for a period of nine months. Juniper and Teddy had assumed, hoped that fifteen years later their heads would be in a slightly cooler place. Alas, it was not to be.

Actually, Juniper thought it might even be worse this time than it was before. If that was possible.

James was still on the line.

"Was there something else?" Juniper drummed her fingers impatiently, picking out a few flavors that everyone would be pleased with.

There was a pause. She could hear her brother breathing. Then, "I think Kenzie has a boyfriend."

Juniper nearly laughed out loud, "Of course Kenzie has a boyfriend. She's fifteen and cute, James. Don't be a dork."

"You know what, this is hard for me, okay?" James huffed indignantly. "To me, she's still dragging me out of bed at six in the morning to go on a gnome hunt in the garden, and having tea parties with her stuffed animals. I never thought she'd—" He broke off, unable to say the word.

It was funny, really. Her brother had spoiled that little girl rotten from the second she was born. In fact, she had both Teddy and James wrapped around her finger. Dressing up as princesses and fairies, reading her just one more story, slipping her sweets and then having to face the wrath of Rory, who had expressly forbade it. It came as no surprise that he was having difficulty coming to terms with his daughter's growing up. He'd practically had an aneurysm when she turned thirteen.