- H A P P Y -

Juniper heaved a large sigh, closing the door to the classroom behind her. How was she going to face her family? She smoothed her hair, trying to contain the frizzing, and looked up at her mum, "Thank you, mum. You have no idea-"

"Really, Juniper?" her mother turned on her, her calm and understanding demeanor completely gone. "At your father's headmaster reception?"

"Mum I-"

"That is unacceptable. You know better." Her mother walked briskly through the halls, berating her, "God, Juniper. I didn't even know about this boy until five seconds ago! How could you think that was okay? You're sixteen, Juniper!"

"But-"

"Do not interrupt me, Juniper Lily Potter, or so help me Godric, I will have your aunt give you detention for the rest of the year!" Miranda yelled, raising a warning finger. "Please fix your dress. We have a picture to take."

"This is so not fair!" Juniper protested, eyes flashing, "If it was James or Nessa, or literally anyone else you wouldn't have a problem with it! No, not your perfect little babies! Just me!" she spat. "Shouldn't you be happy I'm finally in a relationship? You've been badgering me to get in one for ages, and the second I do, you reprimand me?!"

"I helped you, Juniper," her mother said in a low, dangerous voice. They were nearing the Great Hall now. "Yes, your stupid father and those stupid boys blew the situation completely out of proportion, but your actions-"

"My actions?" Juniper shouted angrily, "My actions?"

"Juniper Lily Potter, restrain yourself immediately," Miranda hissed. "This is a very important moment for your father, and we will not mar it with this disagreement. You will paste a smile on your face, stand next to your brother and look like you love all of us so Rita Skeeter can snap a picture. Do I make myself clear?" Her mother stared her down, mouth pressed in a firm line. The steely gaze she was sporting said it all.

"Crystal." Juniper gritted her teeth, rage boiling inside of her. She couldn't believe she'd actually been worried about her mum. That she'd missed her. Her mother would never understand her, that much was clear. Why in the world did her dad choose her? Parents. They ruin everything.

"Fantastic," her mother replied tightly.

They joined the rest of the family, who were already posing by the portrait. Juniper's father still looked slightly on edge, and James was eyeing Juniper in a way that she knew meant he was going to have a talk with her. It was going to be a long night. Vanessa, who instantly sussed out the tension between Harry and Juniper, James and Juniper, and Miranda and Juniper, silently tried to deduce what was going on. Cali was her usual bubbly self, brown ringlets and rosy cheeked, completely unaware.

Juniper slid into her spot next to James, not making eye contact.

Junie...

Not right now James.

Junie-

James we're taking a picture.

Junie you can't just-

Smile and shut up, James.

Listen to your sister

"3, 2, 1..." The photographer counted down, and Juniper smiled wide.

The Potters looked every inch the perfect family they were supposed to be. James with his dashing grin and hair identical to his father's. Vanessa the mirror image of her mother. Cali, the perfect mix of the two. And then her. Juniper had never felt more like the odd one out. Even in her own family she was an outcast. Would she ever truly belong anywhere? She hung out with boys, so she was too tomboyish to be one of the girls. So she hung out with girls and then the guys said she was too girly. She was teased for not having a boyfriend and now she had one and everyone was mad. It was impossible being female.