Im sorry, Mr. Mendes

Still Shawns POV:

We arrive at the hospital an hour later and I'm told which birth room she's in. According to the front seat lady, Lexi has been in labor for two hours. Damn, those guys suck. I walk into her room and she's laying there with her knees bent toward the sky. Her eyes are closed, for a second. She, then, scream out in pain. "God damnit, Jake!"

I rush to her side and grab her hand. "I'm here baby."

Tears stream down her cheeks as she looks at me. Her hand tightly squeezes mine. Then, another contraction. One of my fingers cracks, then another. After her contraction, she lightens up. She lets go of my hand and a soaring pain strikes it.

I laugh. "I think you broke a few of my fingers, momma."

"I'm sorry, Shawn."

"It's ok, babe." I lean over and kiss her.

A nurse walks in with a chart. "Ok. I'm going to take a look and see where we are." She lifts the bed sheet. "Alrighty." she says and takes off the sheet. "On the next contraction, I need you to push." Her contraction comes and she pushes. "Good. Keep breathing. You're doing great."

"You're going to be ok, babe." i kiss her forehead.

"Push."

She does and tears flow down her cheeks. I wish I could stop the pain.

"Again."

She pushes hard. I hear a faint cry. Then a wail. I look to the nurse and she stands.... with our baby. I look back to Lexi with a huge smile on my face. Her face is pail white. She doesn't move. "Lexi?" No response. "Lexi!"

"Oh my god." The nurse gasps. "Nurses!! Sir, cut the cord." I do and another nurse takes Jake. I'm told to wait outside.

After about an hour, a doctor emerges from her room, head bowed. He looks at me. "Mr. Mendes?"

"Yes, sir."

"Your baby is perfectly healthy."

"What about my wife?"

"S-she... I'm sorry, Mr. Mendes."

She was right. All along, Lexi was right. She didn't make it.