I missed you

"Mom!"

"What!?"

"Can we go get ice cream?!"

"Give me a minute!"

He looks at me. "I'm not going to ask you to be my girlfriends yet. It's kind of soon." he sighs. "But if you want, we could act like we're together to make Aaron mad. Or we could act like we're together all the time."

I laugh. "Whatever floats your boat."

He pulls me close to him by my hips. "Which do you prefer?"

"Maybe the second one." He kisses me.

"Hayes!"

He jumps away from me. "I....." he looks at me.

"Welcome to the family."

"Ms. Grier, I-"

"Call me mom." Mom? I haven't called anyone mom in a long time. I don't even call Becky mom. I feel tears brim my eyes. Liz pulls me in for a hug. "It's ok, sweetie." I feel Hayes' hand on my back. "Lets go get ice cream."

We get to the ice cream place about 20 minutes later. "What are you getting?" hayes asks me.

"Cookies and Cream."

We all got Cookies and Cream and went outside. We sit at a table. I feel a hand in my shoulder. "How are you guys?"

"Hey, Jake." Hayes say. Jake? He looks at me. "Lexi, this is Jake Foushee. Jake that's Lexi."

I look behind me and my jaw drops. "Hello, Lexi."

"H-hi."

He smiles at me. "Luke will be out here in a sec- there he is. I win!"

I turn around and see him. I know him. "Luke!" Luke starts to run torward us. I stand up fast and hug him. "How are you?"

"I'm great. How are you, Lex?"

"I'm awesome."

"Wait. You know him?"

"Yeah. I went to school with him before I got home schooled. Luke was a good friend of mine when I lived here."

"You used to live here?"

"Yeah. I moved in with Aaron when I was 10. My Aunt and his mom were best friends. I've known him since I was three." I look back at Luke. "It's nice to see you again."

"Wait. Is this the girl you drew hearts around in your year book?"

His face turns red. "Really?"

I blush and hug him again. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." I sit back down with mom and Hayes. The Foushee brothers join us. Jake keeps looking at me. "Jake, you haven't taken your eyes off of her."

He blushes. "I'm not lookin at her. I'm looking past her."

"Uh hu." Hayes says and grabs my hand. We smile at eachother.