Heart-to-Heart

Kaya should have known that Zoren wouldn't go far. 

Though he had graciously exited Ransom's space, Zoren chose to wait for Kaya in front of the elevators. A place where she couldn't avoid him, even if she wanted to. 

A breath to steel her nerves. A mental plea for sanity and patience. Kaya crossed the boundary between elevator car and open hall. 

Zoren took a step toward her, his lips parting as though he would speak. 

Kaya held up a hand. "Do you really want to do this here?" She tossed a glance toward the lobby, where people already turned to stare. 

Zoren shook his head. "I'll walk you to work." 

It sounded safe enough. Kaya still trusted Zoren, even if she didn't agree with how he handled the situation. She nodded and turned toward the hall to the kitchens. 

Zoren fell in step directly beside her. 

Surprisingly, it was Kaya that spoke first. "Why are you being like this?"

"Like what? I'm just trying to keep you safe." 

"Keep me safe?" Kaya paused her stride. "From what?" 

"That imposter upstairs." Zoren poked a finger in the general direction of the ceiling. "What did he use to blackmail you? Do I need to actually punch him?" 

"You tried to punch Ransom?" Kaya clapped a hand over her mouth. Too loud. Alicia would hear. 

Zoren nodded. "Yeah, he's a sleaze. I mean, come on, using the internet and media as an excuse to date you? Who does that?" 

"You." The word dropped from Kaya's lips before she even thought about it. "You used it to date me. And you weren't as straightforward about it as Ransom was. You were the underhanded one, Zoren." 

"Underhanded? Me?" 

"Yes, you. If you actually liked me, you should have told me. Were you going to keep on pretending with me forever?" 

Kaya hadn't realized how deeply she felt about Zoren's actions. Not until she stood here, facing him. Part of her felt... betrayed. As though something beautiful and sweet had been ruined by sour lies. 

Zoren's shoulders rose and fell in time to his deep breath. "I wanted to tell you. Really. But you're so skittish. I thought you'd freak out and never see me again." 

"That's my decision, not yours." Kaya shook her head. "I didn't even know. How can I make up my mind if I don't even know what's going on?" 

"How was I supposed to tell you? You would be torn between your best friend and her brother. Your only options would be to never see me again or never see your only friend again. I couldn't make you choose." 

"I would have figured something out. How do you know I wouldn't have liked you back?" 

Zoren froze. "You... you liked me?" 

"I never had the chance to find out." 

"What about now? Do you like me now?" 

"You missed that chance, Zoren." Kaya took a step away from him. She hated to finish this conversation, but she had little choice. "I'm with Ransom now, and I think I really like him. So, in the end, you're the one who has two choices. We can be friends again, like always. Or you can stop coming to see me." Saying it hurt Kaya more than she thought it would. Being cold and calculating had never been her strong suit. "Let me know when you make your decision. I'll be waiting."