Zucchini Club Conversation

"Is it true that you stayed over at CEO Lee's house and wore his shirt to work the next day?" Marcy asked the question innocently, but it stung a little. 

Kaya poked at a piece of zucchini with her fork. "No."

"But the pictures..." 

Kaya shook her head. "Pictures can lie, you know. Just because he lives in that building, that doesn't mean I was at his apartment." 

"But you don't live there, do you?" 

"No, I don't. My friend does." Kaya didn't know why she felt compelled to explain the whole story. She didn't need other people. In fact, knowing too many people could prove dangerous. 

Jacob tapped Kaya's shoulder. "But it was his shirt, right? How'd that happen?"

"Turns out that my friend is his cousin. His shirt got left at her house."

"Wow." Marcy shook her head. "No wonder the media wouldn't have believed the real story." 

"Do they still hound you?" Betty asked softly. 

Kaya shook her head again. "They're a bit better now." At the very least, they hadn't been camping out at her house. 

"Why are you always so quiet and distant?" Jacob asked. 

Kaya glanced up at him. "I'm not." 

"Yes, you are," Marcy agreed. 

Jacob wrapped his arms around Kaya. "Big Sis, don't be like that. We're family now, so tell us everything that happens." 

"Jacob, you're frightening her." Betty flipped another zucchini. 

Jacob released Kaya and threw his hands up in surrender. "Sorry." 

"It's okay." Kaya ducked her head. She wasn't used to people just touching her, but it appeared that touching was a trend in this building. 

"Don't you have friends?" 

"Jacob!" Marcy reached around Kaya to punch his arm. 

Jacob pouted at her. "I'm just asking." 

"I've never been good at making friends," Kaya confided. "People like the people who are similar to them. I've always been too... different." 

Too quiet. Too reserved. Too strange. Too mysterious. 

Kaya didn't know the exact reason that people always abandoned her, but she learned early on that it wasn't something she could control. In this world, she could only count on one person: her mother. There had only been one other human being who challenged that theory. Kaya hadn't seen him in years. 

"I think you're amazing." Jacob chuckled and speared a zucchini slice. "So you can be my friend any day, okay? Just ask me if you need anything. I'm the guy for the job." 

"I'll stick up for you, too." Marcy smiled. "And Betty isn't about to let anyone harass you or talk bad behind your back." 

Kaya hesitated, her fork halfway to a zucchini slice. "Have people been talking bad behind my back?" 

The three around her went eerily silent. 

Marcy reached up three fingers to slap her own mouth. 

Betty removed the pan from the heat and turned the stove off. "You should know, I think. There has been a rumor that you entered this company on... less than upright morals." 

Kaya frowned. She hadn't. The entire thing had been Ransom Lee's fault, his idea. Why would they blame her for something she didn't have any say in? Kaya curled one hand around the opposite arm.

"We should tell her boss," Jacob decided. 

Kaya shook her head yet again. "No, it's okay. I'll talk to him later." 

None of her coworkers looked like they believed the lie, but no one bothered to argue with Kaya. It would have been pointless, anyway. Kaya had already made up her mind to endure it until the end. 

A/N: Hey, everyone! I'm so glad you're reading this story and I hope you like it. Please drop a comment if you have time and also hit the little star button that says "vote". It will help this story's visibility to other readers! Thanks and much love!

- Megan

P.S. See you in the next chapter ;)