Care

"So what's our next move?" Kaya could feel the exhaustion settling in, fueled by raw emotions and many, many unanswered questions. 

"Sleep." Ransom chuckled as he rose from his crouched position. "You need sleep. Then we'll discuss more." 

"We need to make a plan now, especially since he tried to run me down. If he tries once, he won't stop until he succeeds." Kaya ran her fingers through her hair, against her scalp, hoping the stimulation would bring cognizance. 

Ransom nodded as he ditched his jacket and wrapped it around Kaya's shoulders. "I'm aware. An hour won't change anything. Nap. You look like you need it." 

As always, Ransom read her like an open book. Kaya now understood why. She remembered the young man who took time to listen to her problems, to ask and understand why she approached things in certain ways. 

Ransom had learned, long ago, the key to reading Kaya's reactions. It had only helped him now. 

Though it seemed a little sneaky, Kaya was the one who had taught him, originally. And then she had forgotten him. How did she forget what he looked like? 

Yes, Ransom had matured, but he hadn't been immature when they met originally. She should have recognized him, and Kaya blamed herself for her ignorance. 

Now that she had found him again, Kaya realized it didn't frighten her as much to trust her situation to his capable hands. Because she knew who had trained him. She knew that he knew everything. Only someone who knew it all could help. Best of all, she didn't have to retell him. Because Ransom had always been looking out for her. Watching. 

"Lay down and sleep. I'll be nearby." Ransom offered Kaya a wry smile before he ducked out of the door. 

Kaya didn't really want to see him go, but she processed things better when Ransom wasn't beside her. He had a way of muddling her brain in ways she couldn't control. 

Would mom approve of this? 

Part of Kaya said no, that her mother would say a relationship would bring danger. But most of Kaya's instinct told her that her mother had never wanted anything but happiness for Kaya. She would, without a doubt, approve of Kaya's feelings toward Ransom. Ransom could be trusted, more than anyone else. 

Somehow, that knowledge comforted Kaya. Enough to let her relax. To lie down on the plush couch and close her eyes. As long as she stayed by Ransom's side, nothing would happen. She would be safe and secure. 

Kaya didn't last long after that. Exhaustion took over and dragged her under. 

Thus, she didn't see when Ransom reentered the room. Didn't know that he was the one who placed a blanket over her body and a pillow under her head. Kaya, sleeping, was oblivious to the concern in his face and the care his hands offered. A smoothing of hair from her face. A gentle kiss to her forehead. 

Ransom could only sit nearby and stare, amazed that Kaya had decided to trust him instead of pushing him away.