Through Lina's Eyes

Laser tag had been one of the most brilliant ideas that Zoren ever came up with, in Lina's opinion. 

Lina had seen it happening. Day by day, little by little, Kaya fell deeper into the mire of stress and anxiety. For a little bit, just for today, Kaya deserved to live care-free. If anything could make one forget their reality and focus on something else, it was laser tag. 

Only downfall? Lina didn't manage to get Lawrence on her team. 

She thought they had a great time during coffee break that one day. Why didn't he seem to have any feelings at all? Was he made of stone? 

Stone or not, Lina determined to win him. In laser tag and in real life. Lina had never given up on a goal she set for herself. Not even once. 

Which led her back to the task at hand. End her best friend's laser tag life. 

Normally, Lina wouldn't be so violent toward her bestie, but Lina also figured if she took out his ward, Lawrence might come for her. She would take great satisfaction in beating him in laser tag. 

Lina paused beside a doorway, took a breath, and peered around the corner. 

Nothing. Awesome. 

Light-footed, Lina darted behind a nearby stack of crates, into the bubble between those crates and the wall. 

Kaya entered the room from another direction, her laser-gun clutched close. Clearly, she had never played this game before. All for the better, since Lina's plan depended on ending Kaya for game purposes. 

With a grin, Lina raised her own weapon and prepared to fire. 

A hand clamped around Lina's mouth. An arm tugged her backward. 

Lina's back hit the wall with a soft thud. 

Lawrence held a finger to his lips, demanding that she be quiet. As if she could speak with his mitt over her mouth. 

Kaya made her way through the room, disappeared through another door, and left them in silence. 

Lina shoved Lawrence's hand away from her lips. "Killjoy." 

"You're quite sneaky, Ms. Olsen." 

"And you're quite formal for someone who went on a date with me." Coffee totally counted as a date. 

"Are you angry because I'm doing my job right now?" 

"Your job? This is laser tag, Lawry. How is this your job?" 

Lawrence rested an arm on the wall above Lina's shoulder, leaning closer into her personal space. "I'm on duty still. My job is to make sure Ms. Parker doesn't get herself injured, laser-tag or not." 

Lina hated how his close proximity made her stop breathing. He clearly didn't even like her like that. What was she thinking? She forced the date, right? So why did she decide to cling so desperately to her unwilling partner? 

"You're angry still?" Lawrence asked. 

Lina nodded, all that she could manage at the moment. 

"Don't be. I told you, I'm on duty." Lawrence leaned closer, his lips near enough to Lina's ear that she could feel every breath. "Unfortunately for you, I don't mix business and pleasure." 

Pew, pew, pew. 

Lina looked down as Lawrence pulled away, taking the laser-gun he had just shot against her stomach with him. With a wink, he disappeared after Kaya. 

Lina watched the lights on her vest flash red over and over and over. Dead. 

And Lina didn't even care.