A New Plan

"What do they mean, you broke a long-standing engagement?" Kaya pointed an accusing finger at the newspaper in Ransom's hands. 

Ransom growled his disapproval as he read over the vague article. "Leona." 

"Who's Leona?" 

Zoren folded his arms. Glared. "Are you already two-timing, big shot CEO?"

"It isn't like that." 

Kaya held up her hands to stop both boys before they began. "Just tell me what's going on. Who is this Leona person?"

"In life, it is said that one will meet a handful of crazy people who don't listen to anyone but themselves." Ransom rolled his eyes heavenward. "Leona is one of those people." 

"Skip to the important part." Zoren took a step toward Ransom, stopped only by Kaya's seething glare. "Engagement?" 

"It never existed. Only in her warped mind." Ransom snapped his wrist to fold the newspaper in half, then handed it back to Zoren. 

Kaya processed the news rather quickly. She had heard worse, but the timing... "You don't think it's him, do you?" 

This time, Ransom fell silent. Kaya could practically hear the gears in his head as they spun and calculated the possibility of her words being true. As much as Kaya wished she didn't come to that conclusion, she also knew the probability. 

"If it is, he's already made his first move, which means he has a plan." 

"His plans never end well for us."

"In the past, no. Now that we know his modus operandi... we have a chance."

"Who? What are we talking about? Is this dangerous?" 

Kaya and Ransom stopped talking to stare at Zoren. Admittedly, Kaya had forgotten that he still stood nearby. It wasn't important in the grand scheme of the day's events. 

Zoren snapped his fingers as if trying to get their attention. "Hello? Answers? Do I get to know anything?" 

Quite frankly, it had been a miracle that Kaya told Ransom about her biological father. She didn't know if she could explain to Zoren, as well. Not without the proper preparation and a lot of consideration. 

"That's not important right now," Ransom answered. Judging by the soft look he turned down to Kaya, he must have sensed her mental distress. He had an uncanny knack about him when it came to that. "What's important is that we take countermeasures." 

"Like what?" Zoren glanced between the two again. "Are we even talking about this Leona person right now?" 

"Ah! Leona!" Ransom grinned. 

Kaya knew that grin. His planning grin. His evil designs grin. Ransom had a thought that would undoubtedly help them, but maybe not so much help on the Leona front. 

"What are you thinking?" 

"Leona is a journalist, and she isn't affiliated with the other journalists in this city. She runs freelance and wild. Perhaps, we can get her to help us." Ransom rested a hand against the top of Kaya's head. "If you don't mind."

"Oh, gag me," Zoren muttered. 

Kaya leaned her head into Ransom's touch. It always felt so warm and soothing. "What does it entail?" 

"A little acting. A little buttering Leona up." 

Kaya wrinkled her nose. "We're already trying to convince Alicia that we're dating. If we stop dating so that you can appease Leona, won't that just prove her point?"

"What makes you think that's my plan?" Ransom frowned. "Of course it isn't. I just got you, I'm not letting go so easily." 

"Then what is your plan?" 

Ransom wrapped his arm around Kaya's shoulders, turned to Zoren, and smiled. Even without words, Kaya knew something mischievous was coming. She just didn't quite know what.