Chapter Sixty-Six: When Angels Interfere

- All bad deeds will catch up to you someday

I'd never given much thought to death.

I always thought of it as an endless pit of darkness. I thought of it as a haven. I won't lie and say I haven't thought about ending it all at least once in my life.

I thought of it as an ending. A passageway to nothingness.

But as I watched Ettie and Harry embrace their parents with cries of utter longing and pain, my view on death seemed to change slightly.

It was the gateway to rebirth. It was yearning and agony. It was mourning and screaming. It was the constant question of why?

It was the feeling of loss.

It was recognizing how easily it was for life to end.

It was a separater of families.

An end to happiness.

And then an end to pain.

My eyes clash with my elder sister's and although they were stone cold there was an ounce of gratitude in them.

"Why are they shackled up and imprisoned?!" Ettie demands, tears running down her cheeks.

"They dared question my authority," I answer, voice uncaring and monotone.

"THEY ARE YOUR FAMILY!!"

"I know them as much as you do," I say slowly and calmly.

She stares at me in horror, her wide brown eyes widening in shock.

I'd ordered her demon to rest and he had, undoubtfully cursing me out in my mind. He was definitely a higher-up demon.

The whole thing was strange to me.

The whole setup seemed eerie. Like it was predetermined. As if someone was watching us from the shadows and cackling wildly at the stupidity about to befall Hell.