Chapter Fourty-Four: Rewind Once More

- Tears come from the heart and not the brain

I finish up with my fellow Hellbearers and apparate home

"MOMMY!!!"

I catch the little girl in my arms, laughing. "Hey sweetie." I smile at her, hugging her tight to me.

Gosh I loved this little ray of sunshine. I loved her so much it hurt. I'd do anything for her. Protect her from anyone and anything.

"How's school?" I ask. I usually tried to apparate here at least three times a week and during the weekends.

She was my daughter like it or not and I was going to woman up and care for her like any mother should.

She chose me.

And I would god damn make sure she never ever questions her reasoning for choosing me.

"Good!" She cheers and then levitates a cup of sweet hot chocolate over into my hands.

I nod at her, giving her an impressed look. "You've been practicing what I taught you I see."

She nods erratically and hops up on my lap, hands wounding around my neck. "I want to make you proud." She cheers.

My heart softens.

I knew I had her. Even if the entire world hated and despised me right now. I had her. My daughter. My whole world.

"Let's do something." I smile at her. "I can take you shopping and we can get something to eat." I give her a grin.

She leapt at that. She'd been stuck in this house god knows how long. She realized it was for her safety but I knew how much she longed to get out.

"What about those mean men? They could take us again." Her eyes were terrified.

"I'm stronger now." I soothe her unease away, fingers running through her beautiful blonde hair. "I won't let anyone lay a hand on you."

The strands in my hands turn brown at my command and she gasps when my hair goes blonde.

"Besides.... no one will know who we are." I say, tapping her nose and placing an illusion on her face. To everyone else she looked like a completely different child, but to me she was my daughter.