Job Hunting

══════════════════

══════════════════

You were all smiles the next day as you merrily strolled into your next class, perturbing everyone around. Even Nami, who was normally desensitized to your whiplash-like moods was offset by your sudden change. What had happened to make you so happy?

That was for you to know and for others to wonder, though. You were quite content on keeping it to yourself.

You laid your head on your desk and closed your eyes as your teacher droned on about the subject of tragedy.

Well, that certainly piqued your interest.

You cracked an eye open and focused on the front board.

"And where can we find examples of tragedies?" The Professor asked.

"Romeo and Juliet?" A student responded.

"Exactly!"

"The Titanic?" Another student piped up.

"Another great example! All are famous pieces of literature, but can someone tell me the exact definition of it?"

'Tragedy?' You mused.

What was a tragedy to you? Was it the loss of a friend or the death of a loved one?

That question reverberated in your mind even as your class ended, sending the thoughts spiraling in your head as you walked to the nearby university cafe.

As soon as you arrived, the thought was wiped from your mind, instantly replaced with the worry of your interview.

A couple of weeks ago, you had seen a ' Now Hiring! ' sign plastered to the front, which was quite convenient considering you were out a job. Without a constant flow of cash, you were struggling to make ends meet and you knew you couldn't rely on the small amounts Mihawk sent you. Though he had more than enough to provide for you, it was still humiliating to keep relying on him. After all, you were an independent adult now. Providing for yourself was a given!

You straightened the ends of your skirt and tidied yourself in front of the window before strolling in, a confident smile on your face.

"Hello, I'm here for the job interview." You asked the nearest clerk.

When they looked up, the two of you exchanged shocked looks as you recognized the other.

"Monet?" You were quite surprised to see her.

"Oh, umm--," She offered a sheepish smile, "You're Ace's friend, aren't you? I apologize, I don't quite remember your name."

"No, no, that's quite alright." You fervently waved your arms and reassured her, "I don't blame you, I tend to stick to the background so it's hard for others to even remember who I am. I'm Y/n, nice to meet you." You extended your arm to her.