8.Just

8.

When all other light is gone
A single spark is all I need
To keep whole the earth below
To dig down for life beneath the snow
To carry, to carry on, to carry on
(Startisan-Just)

Foundation Day was the most expected day of the year in Shallow Valley with Christmas and Independence Day. It was considered more important even than Easter and Thanksgiving Day and the celebrations were incredible every year. That was the first time for Lexa and her two kids seeing such a sight. The whole town was in the park, despite the cold weather. There were rides, musicians playing, an exhibition about the history of Shallow Valley, funny games such as shooting gallery (with rubber bullets, of course), whack-a-mole, sack race and many others, balloons and sweet stands and a lot of food. There were screaming children everywhere and Aden started playing snowball fights with his kindergarten friends, while Lexa and her siblings sat on a bench with Madi. The teen looked very bored. She basically didn't know anyone, as she spent the whole days at school trying to avoiding almost everyone. A part Charlotte, there was only another guy who she enjoyed spending time with, Ethan Hardy. He was a blonde posing boy who played for the local school football team and Lexa didn't like him at all. However, she didn't want to fight Madi, she just stood him, paying attention of his behavior.

"It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" Lincoln said. He was right. It was an incredible sunny day and the sunlight made the snow on the ground shine.

"I've never seen so much snow." Lexa admitted. Her siblings' eyes widened.

"This is why I'd never live in Polis, Lincoln. No snow, crime everywhere, no Callie's Cafe..."

"No Raven." Lincoln continued, joking.

"Yes. Wait, what?" her sister realized what he had just made her say.

"Oh, c'mon! You two live together, it's not a secret anymore that you love her, Anya.". The detective blushed and Lexa started laughing. Madi looked at them and yawned. She was so bored.

"Oh-oh." Lincoln muttered, suddenly.

"What's the matter, now?" Madi asked, nervous. She was fed up, she just wanted to go home.

"Kara Cooper is your 9 o'clock. I repeat, Kara Cooper is your 9 o'clock." Lincoln warned Anya.

"Who?" Lexa questioned. Anya didn't answer and tried to run away, in vain. It was too late. A thin tall woman with dark hair and a crazy gaze was staring at her, mad. Anya faked a smile.

"Ehm... Good morning Miss Cooper. How are you?"

"Not well, Miss Woods. I am really worried and scared. My poor chickens...". Anya groaned. Not again. Maybe it's karma. Yes, it definitely is a punishment for not having helped Octavia the last time , she thought.

"Miss Cooper, we have already found your chicken. It's not that day of the month." the detective told the woman.

"I know!" Cooper replied. "This is why I'm scared!". Anya rolled her eyes, while Lexa and Lincoln were laughing. Madi was shocked. Was her fake aunt really managing the case of a vanished chicken?

"Whoever attempts the life of my poor babies deserves to die." Cooper claimed.

"No, no, nobody will die. Detective Blake and I will find your chicken again, Miss Cooper. Now go having fun, I need space in order to investigate.". Lexa and Lincoln were laughing in tears. They couldn't help, but laugh, even if Anya had begged them with her eyes to stop more than once.

"Thank you, detective. I'm counting on you." Cooper said and went away. Madi was confused.

"What the hell has just happened?"