44.Blackbird

44.

Beyond the suffering you've known
I hope you find your way
May you never be broken again
(Alter Bridge-Blackbird)

Madi was sleeping in her room when she heard a loud noise coming from the kitchen. She jerked, scared. Every time she  heard loud noises her mind went back to the moment when Lexa was shot during her kidnapping. She sat on her bed, her head between her knees. She could feel her breathe go erratic and her hands start trembling. She closed her eyes, trying to gain control back. Wet tears were streaming down her face, but she ignored them. The noises coming from the kitchen were louder and louder, but Madi tried to focus on her breathe, in vain.

"M-mom..." she found herself muttering. Mom, she thought. February, the 9th, how could she had not realized that yet? She sank into her pillow, choking a scream. She didn't want Lexa or Aden to hear her. She would have been fine, all she needed was time.

"Madi.". The girl turned to the door. Her brother was on the threshold, a scared gaze painted on his face.

"Sweetheart, what's going on?" Madi asked him, concerned. She wiped her tears, not wanting Aden to find out that she was crying.

"Mama..." the child whispered, stepping forward to his sister. He jumped on the bed, leaning on Madi's chest, and burst in tears. The girl frowned, confused and really worried.

"Little man, what's going on?" she asked him again, forcing him to look at her in her eyes. "I'm here for you. Talk to me, please.". The child's lips were trembling and Madi held him close to her chest. She sweetly kissed his hair and rocked him, gently.

"Mama is mad." he murmured.

"Mama? You mean Lexa? Why is she mad?" the teen asked. The child shrugged. A sudden, horrible suspect popped up in Madi's mind. She got out of her bed and started running downstairs. She entered the kitchen and froze. Lexa was on the floor, an almost empty bottle of wine in her hand.

"L-Lexa..." Madi stuttered, scared. "What are you doing?"

"Go away!" the woman cried. The teen stepped back, terrified.

"L-Lex..."

"Go away, Madi! I won't tell you again!" the woman cried again. Madi forced herself not to burst in tears and slowly left her stepmother alone. She went upstairs and, from the kitchen, she heard sobbing and broken glasses noises. She ran to her room, where Aden was waiting for her, sinking into the sheets.

"Shit!" she cussed, taking her phone. She typed Clarke's number, praying she would have answered.

"Please..." she pleaded, in vain. "Stupid hospital!" she cried, punching the wall. She tried to call Anya, but the phone was disconnected. Madi didn't know what to do. She decided to try and call Clarke again, in vain. The situation was worsening and she could hear Lexa crying louder and louder. The girl was staring at her phone, paralyzed. She phoned Raven, but neither her answered. She sighed and decided to type Lincoln's gym number. She waited for an answer, full of anxiety.

"Hello?"

"Lincoln!" the girl exclaimed.

"Madi? Is this a joke?"

"No, please, don't hung up!" she pleaded. "I know you hate us, but we need you! Please, it's about Lexa. She... My mom...Please come here.". For a moment, Madi thought that Lincoln had hanged up. He hated Lexa, after all.

"Hey, are you still here?" the man asked her, suddenly.

"I... Yes." Madi said.

"Give me fifteen minutes. I'm coming." he told her. Madi breathed in relief, sitting down on her bed. She would have been fine. At least, this was what she kept repeating herself.