23.We're Gonna Be Alright

23.

In the eye of the storm
We see what we've endured
We find strength to move on
To move on
But we're gonna be alright
(Before You Exit-We're Gonna Be Alright)

"We lost, didn't we?". Roan looked at Wick with a gaze full of rage. He couldn't believe that Luna had managed to convince him to bring that idiot with him.

"No, we didn't. I know where we are." the mechanic answered. "We are on the road.". Roan groaned.

"We need to arrive to Austin as soon as possible. You told me that you knew a shortcut and now we are here, in the middle of nowhere with a broken radiator and two flat tires.". Wick tapped his nose, nodding. He waved his hands through the air, as he wanted to say something.

"What's the matter now?" Roan asked.

"Well, technically we have only one flat tire. We have a spare wheel and I am a mechanic.". Roan couldn't take it anymore. He clenched his fists and kicked a bush on the side of the road.

"This would have never happened if Luna didn't convince me to bring you with me. Now I would have been on my motorcycle, listening to awesome '80s hard rock and heavy metal music out loud, without an idiot who constantly talks.". Wick swallowed. He scratched his head and started nail-biting. Suddenly, he opened the trunk and took a small orange box.

"What the hell are you doing?" Roan questioned, receiving back just an invitation to shut up. He snorted and sat on the roadside, praying for someone to show up and give them a lift. In vain, of course. He had never seen a more desert road than that. The only living being that they had met since they had joined that "shortcut" had been a fox. Roan looked around. They were surrounded by mountains and it wasn't an encouraging sign. It meant that, despite having driven for almost seven hours, they were still in the north of the Country. And they needed to reach the south as soon as possible.

"I'm done." Wick announced. Roan turned and gasped. His travel companion had managed to repair the flat tire.

"How did you..."

"I'm a mechanic, I told you." Wick said, with a proud voice. "We're better to hurry, it's going to snow here. I wasn't lying, I know where we are. There is a small town not far from here, we could find a mechanic there.". Roan scratched the back of his head. He had no choices, but trust him.

"Okay.". Wick smiled. He was getting in the car on the driver's side, but the Grounder pushed him away.

"This time I will drive." he told him, getting inside. Wick scoffed and sat inside. Roan started the car and they left that place. On their right, a sign reciting Rendon showed them the way.

________________

Octavia was at her desk, desperately trying to understand something about that strange case. Anya was next to her, as confused as her. It made no sense at all. Both the two victims came from Polis and had never been seen in Shallow Valley, by anyone. The coroner had confirmed that they had probably been tortured before death and the rangers had told them that probably Ilian should had been left into the woods later in the morning. Ranger John Mbege was the one in charge of the walk-around that day and he had not seen anyone through the trees and that was even more confusing. Everyone knew everyone in Shallow Valley. Was it possible that a serial killer hid between them?

"Yes, I'll tell her. Yes, I know. Have a good day.". Anya ended the call and turned to her partner.

"I talked to Polis Police Department, they told me that both victims were uncensored, even if they suspected Leaf to be in a criminal gang. However, they have never found any evidence of that." the blonde explained. Octavia nodded and bit her lip. She was at her wit's end.