45.Keep My Heart Open

45.

There's a light that's weighin down on me
And it's comin from your eyes
(Green River Ordinance-Keep My Heart Open)

It was a month since Lexa's crisis. She was feeling better and she and Clarke were doing fine. The doctor was still a bit confused, but everything was good between the two. They regularly spent time together and Clarke often helped Lexa with Aden and Madi. At the same time, the brunette had started to work again. Marcus had welcomed her with open arms, assuring her that her past wouldn't have defined her having a job in his store. Lexa had breathed in relief. She was starting to realize that a real fresh start could be possible for her and the kids. She was happy, a feeling so unknown for her. Things were looking up between her and Madi too. Apparently, the kidnapping hadn't left a huge impact on the girl, even if Lexa suspected Madi was hiding her trauma to her. She didn't want to push her tough, not after all they had suffered. Madi deserved some time. However, what Lexa really desired to do was talking to her about what she had said in the cave. The woman was conscious of the fact that Madi had heard her referring to her as her daughter. She needed to know if that it was okay for the girl. She didn't want Madi to feel uncomfortable around her.

"Mama." Aden called her. The woman turned, smiling at the child. He ran to her, a toy shark in his tiny hand. Lexa hold him close and kissed his blonde hair, gently. She rocked him, humming a song Roan used to sing to her when they were children. Aden started sucking his thumb and laid his head on Lexa's shoulder.

"Are you tired, sweetheart?" she asked him. The child nodded quietly and kept sucking his thumb. The woman kissed his forehead again, when she heard someone ringing the door bell. She went opening the door and smiled at Clarke, who immediately pinched Aden's cheeks.

"Hi." Lexa greeted her, kissing her.

"Hi." Clarke said back. "Are you ready, sweetheart?" she then asked Aden. "We're gonna have fun." she said, caressing his nose. The child hid his face in the crook of Lexa's neck, in a way that caused both Clarke and Lexa to smile at him. He looked so tiny.

"Don't be shy, little man." the brunette whispered to him, while sitting on the sofa, Aden on her lap. "Dinner is in the fridge, I bought him some fish and vegetables. He usually has a bath before going to bed, around 9.00.". Clarke nodded, carefully listening to Lexa's instructions.

"What about Madi?" she asked.

"Oh, she is at Charlotte's, they're studying together for a test. She won't be back late, tomorrow she has school." Lexa answered. "Are you sure? You don't have to do this."

"I want to, Lex. It's not such a big deal and I really want to spend some time with the kids. Moreover, you deserve to go out with your siblings sometimes." the blonde reassured her. Lexa nodded, a bit unconvinced. She was a little anxious about that night's dinner. She would have gone out with both Anya and Lincoln for the first time since the kidnapping and even if apparently his brother had forgiven her, she was scared that he was still mad at her.

"Everything will be fine." Clarke said. "What do you think little man? Should mama go have fun with aunt Anya and uncle Lincoln?" she rhetorically asked Aden. The child shrugged and yawned, bored. He couldn't understand why adults couldn't just decide to do something and do it. Clarke chuckled and turned to Lexa. The brunette was chewing her lip, pensive. When she noticed that Clarke was staring at her, she raised her hands and stood up from the couch.

"Okay, okay, I'm going." she said.

"Good girl. See you later!" Clarke waved her goodbye. "Say bye to mama." she exhorted Aden, moving his tiny hand towards Lexa. The brunette kissed his forehead and sweetly caressed his cheeks.