42.Second Chances

42.

I won't break you I will not let you down
Open up again, I believe in second chances
(Imagine Dragons-Second Chances)

Lexa opened her eyes, slowly. Her head was spinning madly and she was feeling a strong pain at her abdomen. She looked around. She was laying on a hospital bed. Her room was small, but comfortable and next to her there was a chair, meaning that probably someone had stayed with her while she was unconscious. She didn't really remember what had happened. All she remembered was Madi and her outside the cave, joining the rest of the group and a sudden pain at her abdomen, nothing more. Madi, she panicked.

"Hey! Good morning, sweetheart." a voice brought her back to reality. "How are you? You've been out for two days, I'm so happy you're awaken.". Abby was looking at her, with such a tender gaze. Lexa couldn't understand why she was acting like that. The brunette was nothing, but a criminal. She didn't deserve tenderness, at all.

"Madi..." was everything she could say. Abby sat down next to her and caressed her forehead in a really motherly way.

"Madi is fine. She is with the Blakes right now." she reassured her. Lexa breathed in relief. Madi was safe, that was all mattered to her.

"What about the others?" she asked, out of nowhere.

"They're all doing fine, Jasper too." Abby answered, sensing that the brunette wanted to know Jasper's conditions too. "They are here, for you. All I need is to call them." she said, standing up.

"Wait, please." Lexa stopped her, grabbing her wrist. Abby turned and tenderly gazed at her. Lexa was so young, but she had already gone through a lot. Abby could see some tears streaming down her cheeks. She sat down again and held the brunette's hand.

"Hey, I've got you. I'm here, Lexa. What happened? Does the abdomen hurt? Let me take a look, I did the surgery, but maybe some of the stitches..."

"The abdomen is okay." the younger woman said. "I just... Please, I'm not ready to meet the others yet.". Abby sighed, understanding the point. Lexa was ashamed of what she had done, probably thinking that everyone was mad at her.

"Lexa, everything will be alright." the doctor tried to reassure her.

"Is Clarke here too?" the brunette asked, anxious. Abby sighed.

"No, she isn't. But she was here while you were out, she barely went to the bathroom because she didn't want to leave you. She cares about you, I think she just needs some time to figure out what happened.". Lexa bowed her head, a gaze full of sadness in her own eyes.

"Why aren't you mad at me?" she asked, suddenly. "I put your daughter in danger, I lied, I..."

"Hey, no." Abby stopped her rambling. "I'm not mad at you, I swear. When they brought you here, I was the only surgeon who could operate on you. Anya and Clarke explained to me what happened and yeah, at first I was really confused, but then I realized how brave you are. You only wanted a fresh start Lexa and you deserved it. You deserve it.". The younger woman could feel her lips trembling. She didn't want to cry again, to look weak again.

"Let it go." Abby whispered to her, squeezing her hand. And Lexa couldn't fight the tears anymore. She abandoned herself in Abby's motherly embrace, crying like the child she had never been.

________________

Clarke was trying to read a book, laying on the sofa. She snorted when she heard the doorbell ring. She went open the door, annoyed. However, when she found Anya in front of her, she jolted.