Proposal

Piper hands me the ring with a look of confusion on her face. I adjusted the bed so I'm comfortably reclining. Though nothing I do is really comfortable right now. Everything is aching and painful.

I grab Piper's hands and let her sit on the bed facing me.

"Okay, here goes". I said nervously. My chest is beating so hard I think I can hear my heart pounding in my ear.

I look at Piper in the eyes and she gave me an encouraging smile. Okay, I have to do this. I haven't really thought about what to say to her but everything just flow naturally.

"When I think of the future, I like to picture us together because I know you're the only one I want to share the rest of my life with".
I started saying and Piper's eyes began to water.

"All my life all I wanted was someone to care for me, all I wanted was someone who would be there for me and all I wanted was someone like you.
I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I want the rest of my life to start as soon as possible. So please stay with me, and hold my hands.
I promise to love you a little bit more every day and I'd rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without marrying you".

Piper, then just burst into tears.

"So, Piper Elizabeth Chapman, will you marry me?".

Piper is weeping and she couldn't speak.

"I'd give up anything just to hear a "yes" from you right now". I said.

"Oh Alex, yes!". She shouted.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Yes I am going to marry you!". She said finally. It feels so gratifying hearing her said those words.

I grab the ring and slide it on her finger and I pull her face closer to me and I kissed her gently and softly. I would love to hug her tight but this will do for now. I'll wait till I get better.

"I'd get down on one knee but...". I said jokingly and Piper, laughed.

"You're okay". She assured me.

"I love you so much, Alex!".

"I love you too, Piper".

"I wish Nicky was here". I mumbled.

"I know, she'll be here later". Piper said and she kissed my cheek.

"Yay! We're engaged!". Piper, exclaimed.

*******************************

The pain meds they gave me is totally wearing off. God! This is terrible. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath trying to calm myself, ignoring the spasm of pain. The medicine they give me is making me sleepy and I couldn't afford to close my eyes now.

A nurse came bustling in to check all my tubes and wires.
She was checking the paper readout on my heart monitor.

"Are you feeling anxious? Your heart rate got a little high there. Do you need another pain meds?"

"I'm fine". I assured her.

"Okay". she sighed "Call me when you're ready".

She anxiously glance at the machinery one more time before leaving.

"Why did you refuse the medicine?". Piper asked and her forehead creases.

"I don't need it yet".