Chapter 58

thank you to everyone who responded with questions for this chapter!

please keep engaging! your continued support helps push my story to other readers so please keep up with your votes and comments! even if they're silly little comments about the smallest things, an emoji here and there, anything like that - it would really help me out. boost, boost, boost!

this chapter is almost 9000 words, i'm sorry but I couldn't make it any shorter! a lot happens so there will be plenty to comment on. let me know your reactions throughout and, as always, please answer the question at the end of the chapter

~***~

My hangover the following day wasn't particularly bad because of the high-carb meal Max made for me that evening, however it didn't go unnoticed by my co-workers. Those at the factory who work closely with me behind the scenes were quick to pick up on the larger-than-normal eye bags, as well as my general grumpiness and fatigue. Luckily, the majority of my work on Friday was just preparation for the upcoming race weekend, as well as preparing for the work day on Saturday. After a few caffeinated drinks, I was back to my 'normal' self.

Both the Mercedes Formula One drivers and the Mercedes Formula E drivers were going to be partaking in a segment for sky sports - hot laps with hot questions. It was due to take place in the early afternoon on Saturday. The questions were already pre-determined and the event would be set out to be like a competition between us, however I wouldn't be finding out the pairings until we arrived at Silverstone circuit. I knew I'd need to drink plenty of water beforehand because temperatures were expected to peak at almost thirty degrees during the time of working. Hopefully I don't become too irritable with the others.

Max was kind enough to offer to drive me to the circuit, as well as to pick me up at four when I was due to finish. It was a significant distance out of his way to the Red Bull factory, but he reassured me that he didn't mind. He had been going above and beyond to do things for me since his fight with Lando.

"I might have to set up an ice bath in the garden, like the ones we use in Singapore," Max commented, letting out a sigh. "I'd hate to think how hot it is in Monaco if it's like this here."

I let out a long exhale, already feeling drowsy from the hot lights beating down from the sky. "That sounds nice," I agreed. "I wish I was in Switzerland with the lake."

Max let out a soft groan, "can we please go there when this race weekend is over?"

"I'll have to check to make sure my therapist can do it online, but I don't see that being a problem." Ever since my last meeting with Lauren, I had been really on-edge even mentioning therapy around Max. She had brought up that we should do a session together and I was anxious about how Max would react if I were to ask him. He had been brought up to feel like therapy for himself was a sign of weakness, much like how I had considered it before attending (it most definitely is not) and I didn't want to make him feel like I was forcing this on him. Slowly, he was getting better and developing to move past these mindsets, but it's not something that goes away with asking. It's something I need to not make a big deal out of, but I was struggling to find a way how. "Maybe you can sit in on one of my sessions?" It's better than nothing.

"Like, watch you?" he questioned, his eyebrows scrunching together.

"You could do, or you could get involved. It might be worth it, especially for the topics that concern you." I chose my words carefully. "Maybe there are some things that you could get off your chest, too? My advice probably won't be as useful as Lauren's."