Chapter 19

'You're stronger than you think. I know you'll be making your team and Lewis very proud. Push with everything you have. We may not support the same team but I'll always be behind you (mostly because you make it difficult for me to pass you) x'

I held the note tightly in my hand. Once again, when I had gone to take my helmet out of its case, I found a handwritten note inside. I could tell from the handwriting that it was from the same person who wrote the note in Bahrain. Whilst Susie seemed to know who it was last time, I was still none-the-wiser. I glanced around to see if anyone was watching me, but everyone seemed focused on their own cars. At least I could narrow it down to a driver.

Before climbing into my cockpit, I tucked the note under the cuff of my racing suit. I adjusted it so that I wouldn't be able to feel it when I'm driving but felt a small boost of confidence knowing that it was with me. I also ran my hand over the small sticker on the nose dedicated to Lewis, which read '#StillIRise. Getting back into my car felt strange after the events of yesterday however I wasn't anxious in any way. I had a point to prove: Toto can keep his trust in me, and I have what it takes to perform under pressure. There was no space in my mind for fear so I simply couldn't feel it. I needed to stay focussed on my target, which was to win this race for me, the team, and Lewis.

T> 'Okay, Alyssa, radio check.'

A> 'Yep, all good.'

T> 'I know this race carries a lot of pressure. Just race as hard as you can and try not to think about it. Remember, diamonds are made under pressure'

A> 'And so are cracks... but I'll throw everything into this race. I won't disappoint.'

T> 'Good luck. Keep your focus, track clearing in sixty seconds.'

I closed my eyes as the radio went silent, drowning out the background noises of mechanical whirring. In my mind, I visualised the track - every entry point, every gear shift, every braking point. The setup on my car seemed to fit better for this circuit and I was prepared for the wet weather. It wasn't raining particularly hard, but it was enough to keep the track damp enough to need intermediate tyres.

A> 'When is the rain supposed to stop again?'

My query came just as the track was being cleared. I watched the movement of people in my mirrors.

T> 'Lap thirty-five to lap forty.'

I confirmed the message on my steering wheel and brought my attention back to the clear track ahead. I was on the left-hand side of the track, so when the lights eventually go out after the formation lap, I'll need to defend to the inside. Not having Lewis for support makes this more of a challenging task, but I've been practicing my aggressive defensive moves. I'm not going to give up a position to a Ferrari, or any other car for that matter, without fighting as hard as my car allows and then some more.

During the formation lap, I tried to keep the pack bunched up as much as I could without going too slow. It was important that I wasn't waiting too long on the grid or else my engine would overheat. The lap also let me see the severity of the track's conditions first hand. The West side of the track (sector one) was more damp than the other areas so I'll have to make sure to stick to the line with most grip. It's a slight disadvantage leading the pack in the rain because I have to drive on the wettest track, however it isn't something I'm worried about.

As I waited at the first mark for the rest of the grid to file into place, I adjusted some of the buttons on my steering wheel. I need to have a near perfect start if I want to take the inside line into turn one. Seb has many years of experience and proved he can perform well in wet conditions. The car immediately behind mine on the grid in third is Max, another strong performer. I knew they'd both go on the offensive and try and take an early lead in this Grand Prix so I've got to push back as much as they do to stay ahead.