Chapter 2

early because i'm busy tomorrow night and sunday and i didn't want to upload late :)

~***~

One thing that testing showed was how much closer the racing is going to be for everyone. Ferrari seemed to have the edge, but then they usually do during testing and then it leads on to mean nothing. Red Bull seemed a little down on our times, getting matched by McLaren and almost Renault who both seemed to have benefited drastically from this budget cap. Force India were lacking in overall pace on each of the different tyre compounds, usually getting beaten by Williams. The Williams car definitely showed improvement and would have the potential to get into the points. In fact, every team showed potential to be in the points with times relatively close to one another. To me, I reckon there could be five teams fighting for the podiums this season. Whilst that's good news for the teams who are used to underperforming, it makes my job this season a lot harder.

My times were pretty good, however I was still marginally behind my teammate. Lewis adapted to the new car so quickly. Unfortunately, I had a couple of issues trying to find the balance that worked for me and then converting that into strong lap times. I was still quick, but there was more to unlock.

"So, Alyssa, how do you feel the testing sessions have gone? Do you reckon you'll be able to challenge for the championship?" The interviewer held the microphone to my face as I adjusted the Mercedes cap on my head. It was doing a great job at shielding the bright sun from my eyes, Damien had to use his free hand to cover his whilst he stood next to me with the recorder.

I cleared my throat and tried to look as enthusiastic as possible. "Testing showed me that I've got more to give. Our mindset has shifted to Melbourne and the upcoming season and I've got the determination to be competitive. As for the championship, I guess we'll have to wait and see." I forced a chuckle after the interviewer did the same. "Ferrari look like the ones to beat this season, but I'm definitely going to try and challenge to the best of my ability."

The interviewer nodded his head. "Lewis seems to be consistently out-performing you. Any comment?"

"That man has seven titles under his belt," I pointed out. "He can seamlessly adapt to these new situations and I think his experience plays a large part in that. I still have a lot more to give and am not worried in the slightest about the time differences. I managed to get quite close to him in the last session of testing as I got more used to the car. By Melbourne, hopefully there won't be much of a difference."

"And you don't think there are any other factors outside the car contributing to your lack of pace?"

I furrowed my brow, immediately losing the smile I had been forcing. "What are you suggesting?"

"Your relationship with Max Verstappen-"

"There isn't one," I interrupted, feeling Damien's hand gently place on the upper part of my arm. "My full focus is on the season ahead."

"But women-"

"And my gender certainly has absolutely nothing to do with my performance, either," I said through a clenched jaw. I turned my back to the interviewer so I could look at Damien. "I'm done with this interview." I didn't wait for a reply, brushing past to get to the exit.

My previous interviews didn't end the same way, but sometimes the questions can really irk me. I shouldn't have to stand and listen to the sexist idiots, so I don't. Cameras started flashing around me but I didn't really care in the moment; I just wanted to get back to the comfort of the garage before everything was packed away.

Gentle fingertips brushed against my own as I left the interviewing area. I turned to my right to see Lando trying to match my pace, a sympathetic smile on his face which showed off his dimples. I slowed down, only then realising the pace I had been walking at, and let out a heavy breath. He didn't move his hand in anyway so it stayed brushed against mine. I think it was a way for him to let me know he was there without the cameras seeing us hold hands. No matter what the intentions, the small contact brought me some relief.