Chapter 65

as always, thank you for your patience with this upload ❤️

hopefully i'll be able to establish more of a schedule when my uni exams finish. until then, please make sure you keep engagement up because comments and votes really do help with my motivation (and ego xoxo)

definitely not another cliffhanger at the end of this chapter...

~***~

I decided that I was going to stay with Max for the evening after how successfully my lunch with Vic and Sof went. My nerves around being around them were drastically reduced to how they had been this morning and so I didn't see many problems with surrounding myself with them. Because of mine and Max's success during qualifying, we were held back from leaving the circuit in order to complete various interviews. It was one of things I was grateful for being able to miss out on when my identity was hidden. Dealing with people in this heat is a big no-no from me.

Because we were late home, Victoria offered to take Lemon back for us after a vet was able to clear their health, and we also found out that Lemon was female. Kitten Toto, unsurprisingly, was a little boy, and Papaya was also a boy - of course us girls are sticking together. By the time Max and I also got back, I was surprised to see the front room set up and decorated just for us. A white cloth covered the table with only two chairs sat to it. Two covered plates were on the table and I could only imagine what food had been prepared.  The only light when we stepped into the house came from an array of candles that had been strategically placed amongst scattered rose petals. 

I dropped my bag to the floor and turned around to look at Max, only to see he had a cheeky smile on his face. "Wha-"

"I asked Vic to put it together for us," he explained, taking my hands in his and brining my knuckle to his lips. "Thought we could celebrate our pole position like a normal couple."

I scoffed in amusement. "Our pole position? I think you mean my pole position, Mr. Second Place."

"We got the same time!"

"Yeah, but I got it first," I teased, poking a finger to his chest. "Just like how the championship is gonna go at the end of the season. You better get used to finishing in second, babe."

Max suppressed his growing grin my biting down on his bottom lip. Did he always look hot doing that or is it the lighting, or maybe I'm just still feeling pumped up from the pole position? "As your competitor, I find incredibly frustrating because you're the hardest one to beat on track, but as your Fiancé, I couldn't be more proud of every single thing you achieve and it just makes me love you more."

"Sweet talk won't make me go any easier on you tomorrow," I pointed out before pressing a kiss to his jaw. "Right now, I'll be your Fiancée, but tomorrow you're going to have to deal with your competitor."