Chapter 75

holy shit - 75 chapters already? i would say the time has flown by but it's taken me over two years so far to write this book lmao

anyway, thanks for all your love. dw, i'm not mean until the very end of the chapter (tw) :)

it's a longer one (like 5k words), and is slightly different from other chapters i have written in the last. please leave your feedback and comments throughout the chapter! i'll be replying to as many as i possibly can.

~***~

Although drizzly for both of the practice sessions on Friday, both Lewis and I were able to set representative times on the slick tyres. The cars had kicked up the water from the track faster than it was falling which left a beautiful, although rather marginal, dry line around the circuit.

Precision had been key in avoiding an accident. Everyone was well aware that if the red-walled tyre were to touch a wet patch of track or catch the white-painted limits, a crash could certainly follow. This was probably why a lot of drivers opted to do the majority of their laps on the intermediate tyre. The first few laps of both practice sessions, I had also chosen to test the waters with the intermediate tyres, however the moment I had the confidence that the track had dried off enough, I came back into the pits for a change. Granted, I had a couple of shaky laps on the soft tyre, and even more on the harder compound whenever the rain picked up in intensity. The heavier showers never lasted long enough to make me want to choose the slower tyre.

In the first practice session, there had been a few offs from other drivers (Nicholas Latifi, Esteban Ocon, and Sebastian Vettel), however every driver had managed to avoid the wall or at least emerge from the crash relatively unscathed. In the second session, Daniel Ricciardo hadn't been so lucky. His Renault had been firmly planted in a gravel trap after a spin at the rivage corner.

"It's a miracle you didn't end up doing the same as Danny," I commented, looking across the debrief table to Lewis. We were looking over the key points of yesterdays practice sessions ahead of FP3, nothing too formal as we casually sat in our race suits. A briefing like this usually happened at the chairs and tables outside, however the heavens had decided to open and the debrief room was a warm and dry alternative. Pointing a finger to the screen ahead of us, I rewound the footage to point out the detail to Lewis, "how are you able to get on the power so quickly out of that corner, especially on the painted line?"

A smile played on the corner of Lewis's lips. "It doesn't matter how long I spend out of the car," he started, "experience talks. If we actually get out on track for FP-three, I say you should try it. Trust that your car will stay pointing the right way."

"You're not Lewis, Alyssa," Toto chimed in, watching the two of us carefully. Riki, my race engineer, nodded his head in agreement. The harsh light from the ceiling spotlights cast shadows against their faces, making them look more serious than what I assume was intended. "Your racing style and the line you take into the corner isn't suited to attack the corner the way Lewis does. What you're doing right now is perfectly good enough."