Chapter 85

happy holidays!

happy holidays!

as your gift to me, all i want this year is engagement with my stories, so please get voting, commenting, and sharing! all my love <3

from now on, i'm going to try to remember to put previous chapters you might find useful in brackets at the start of a new chapter. if you find yourself lost or forgetful, it saves you searching through over 200 chapters from this book and the last. if there's any time i recount something in the chapter that you're confused about, just leave a comment and i'll either explain or point you in the direction of where you can find the relevant chapter!

(AWG69, AWG84)

~***~

Lewis was kind enough to let me use his private jet for as long as I cover the costs of the fuel, which I had no issue in doing if it meant I could avoid a crowded plane. It was a long flight. I took full advantage of the bed (and tried not to think about any of the things Lewis might have done on the sheets) as well as the television to watch the race. Since I was still incredibly pissed off at Toto and his decision to send me home, I found myself rooting for Max. He had gotten off to a rough start, some issue with his clutch release, but the pace of his bull meant that he was able to fight his way back through the pack and stayed clear of the crash that took out his teammate and Nico Hulkenberg. I tried not to think about the effects on the championship and ignored any comments made by the commentators as they speculated how different the race would've been if I had taken part.

Max's third place meant that the lead of the championship no longer belonged to me, and Charles' spectacular win made it so I was tied for second place. My teammate drove a decent race to finish second, although I know he'd have only managed third if I had been racing because that win had my name on it all weekend.

In addition to cheering on Max, I also found myself rooting for the author of the notes I found in my helmet. Lance was out-driving his racing point, and some good strategy from his team meant that he was able to secure his second highest finish of the season with fifth. Lando nearly pipped it from him, but had to settle for sixth. It was a decent recovery drive from him, too, as he had been tagged whilst lapping the Williams of Nicholas Latifi, who subsequently retired due to an unrelated issue.

(Race Result Singapore: P1 LEC, P2 HAM*, P3 VER, P4 SAI, P5 STR, P6 GAS, P7 VET, P8 NOR, P9 RIC, P10 OCO, P11 SCH, P12 KVY, P13 MAG, P14 RAI, P15 RUS, P16 GRO, DNF: HUL, ALB, LAT. DNS: ARC)

When the plane eventually touched down on UK soil a little after three o'clock in the morning, I finally unlocked my phone to read the replies. My heart sunk a little at seeing Bella was out of the country with work and was unable to pick me up from the airport, however a text from an unknown number caught my eye.

'Hey Lys, it's Zara. I hope you don't mind, but Max gave me your number. He said you were flying back to the UK and since the twins have made my sleep schedule backwards, I can pick you up if you wanted? No worries if not! Just text me when you land and I can get to you by the time you've been through security.'