Chapter 66

sorry to leave you on that cliffhanger (jk, i'm not ❤️)

fuel my ego with votes and comments throughout or i will cry - trust me when i say that you're going to have a lot of reactions

thank you annikapienaar for keeping it a secret for so long 😂

also apologies in advance for the emotional rollercoaster that is the 7500 words of chapter 66. this was actually written before 65 so if anything feels off or repeated, know that i simply don't have my act together and i'm not going to apologise for that sorry xoxo

~***~

My wide eyes couldn't figure out whether they should focus on my guilty looking Fiancé or the woman who was with him. Her blonde hair was curled lightly and flowed over her slim shoulders, and her pale skin made her look almost sickly. They pulled apart quicker than I could blink and they just knew that they had been caught. From the description Lando had given me, I concluded rather quickly that this was Zara. Only when she had taken a step back were my eyes drawn to her, falling to a noticeable and rounded bump underneath the light fabric of her summer dress. She was pregnant. It may take me a few moments to usually connect the dots, however everything here just seemed so painfully obvious and too much of a coincidence to be anything other than what I know it is. As my stomach dropped, I'm sure my face had fallen, too. My head was spinning - this can't be happening.

"So, this is your secret?" I bitterly asked, my words laced with venom as I looked between the two in disgust. I swallowed hard to force down the sickness I was feeling.

"It's not what you think-" Max desperately started to say before I cut him off; I don't want to hear any sort of bullshit excuse.

"Oh," I laughed dryly, "please tell me, then - is this not Zara? Your big secret? Your pregnant secret?"

"Yes, this is Zara. She was just a one-night-stand before we got back together," Max tried to explain, but every word that moved through his lips brought me one step closer to erupting with... I don't even know what emotion I'm feeling right now because I've never felt it. I felt sick to my stomach with some form of hurt. All I could tell was that I did not like this entire situation one bit. "I-I only found out I could be the father the day when you first confronted me about it, and then it was confirmed that day you went to Marcus's party." At the confirmation of my fears he was indeed the father, I couldn't help but let out a whimper and struggled to bring myself to look at Max. I didn't recognise the man before me anymore. I knew this wasn't cheating but it just didn't sit right with me. "You weren't supposed to find out until after the race so that I could ease you into this whole thing. I also didn't want to ruin your focus for the race."