Chapter 16

*trigger warning later on*

Saturday morning, no-one could've predicted the change in wind direction that brought along with it a storm that was thought to have settled over the East China Sea. The rain only started to pelt down towards the end of the final practice session. Some teams opted to bring their cars in, however I requested a change in tyre since I had minimal experience with this car in the wet. I had performed pretty well in Australia qualifying (ignoring my big crash out) and that gave me a small boost of confidence. I wasn't taking any risks because I really didn't want to crash so close to qualifying. Even the few laps I did gave me some reassurance as to what to expect grip and balance wise during qualifying.

In front of the cameras, I was forcing a smile, making jokes, and laughing along with everyone around me. I didn't want people to think I was worrying about the rain. In all honesty, I hoped that I would feel more of my fake confidence before getting in the car. If I have the slightest doubts, my performance is negatively effected and I really don't want to be dealing with any conspiracies.

"You're in a strangely good mood," Toto commented, eyes squinting in suspicion as he leaned against the wall beside me. I was just outside of the garage, however remained under the shelter of the pitfall. I like watching the rain to calm me before a session. Toto's eyes drifted to the hot drink I held in my hands. "Has someone slipped something in your tea?"

I laughed, shaking my head. "I'm hoping the more I act, the more I become." Also, I had managed to have a quick catch-up with Max in between FP3 and qualifying preparation, but Toto didn't need to know about that. We're still managing to keep things unnoticed by anyone else, or unknown as to our knowledge.

Toto pursed his lips. "You can't be worrying when you're about to head out on track, especially in weather like this. I have faith in you, just please don't crash."

"Don't crash?" I gasped in fake surprise. "Wow! I wouldn't have guessed!" I spotted Lewis as he walked out of his side of the garage. "Lew, come here! Toto is giving just the best advice."

Lewis raised an eyebrow as he approached, a very obvious smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "It doesn't happen to be 'don't crash', does it?"

"Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!" I couldn't help but laugh as Toto dramatically sighed. "Why do I always get the same advice from everyone?"

"Because you have a tendency to put your car in the wall," Lewis said with a laugh, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"I do not!"

Toto gave me an amused look. "Yeah, sometimes it's just the gravel."

"You guys are not helping with my nerves," I told them, bottom lip jut out in a pout. "Aren't you supposed to be giving me a pep talk?"

"'Don't crash' was your pep talk. I have a lot of faith and trust in you to do well." Toto patted my shoulder with his hand. There was definitely some nerves flickering in his eyes, like a flame that just won't die. As team principal, he had every right to be a little worried. Qualifying was important in setting up for the race tomorrow and Ferrari were very close - too close - in the championship standings.

"We also have a wager on. She gets a grand if she beats me, and I get a grand if I beat her," Lewis looked at me and smirked, "It's easy money."

"Split it between quali and the race so that you're both motivated for both," Toto told him. "Two fifty for qualifying, seven fifty for the race, yeah?" Lewis and I shared a look before we both shrugged our shoulders simultaneously. That was all the answer Toto needed. "Great. Now, I want you both on your best behaviour - no dangerous driving."