Chapter Ninety-Nine

Returning to Hogwarts was both a breath of fresh air and suffocation all at once. It felt like trying to catch your breath after a hard sprint. You know you're breathing, you can feel it, but your lungs won't fill and your whole body aches.

And then came more news reports.

MINISTRY OFFICIALLY APOLOGISES FOR REPORT OF SNAPE'S DEATH AFTER CHILDREN AT HOGWARTS ARE LEFT MISINFORMED

LATEST DISCOVERIES ON SNAPE'S SAMPLES SHOW TAMPERING POST-MORTEM

NEW REVELATION SHOWS SNAPE DEATH WAS ACTUALLY MURDER

MAGICAL SIGNATURE OF SNAPE MURDERER STILL NOT UNCOVERED

AUROR DEPARTMENT CLOSES SNAPE CASE TO THE PUBLIC, SAYING, "THE RISK IS JUST TOO HIGH."

So not only had her mum died. She had been murdered. The murderer was nowhere to be found, and every one of her classmates knew every little detail.

Silvanna had tried so hard to get back into the swing of things. Most of it she could manage - James's very belated birthday party, studying for OWLs, watching Gryffindor Quidditch practices, tutoring Peter. The Marlene being gay thing seemed so insignificant now, and Silvanna even spoke to Dorcas once or twice.

One thing Silvanna couldn't do anymore was Gobstones. She got inside her head too much, thinking about what her mum might do, how she might have played. So it was with a heavy heart that she withdrew from both the club and her captaincy, offering her notes to McGonagall, who was very understanding and sympathetic. "You'll always be welcome back." They both knew it would never happen.

She was pulled out of Arithmancy by McGonagall one morning, alongside Severus, to find an Auror in Dumbledore's office with a cup of tea. "My name's Auror Thompson," he explained to her and Severus. "And I'm just here to explain a few facts of the case.

"As I'm sure you're aware, your mother's cause of death has recently changed to homicide, and we believe that the specific spell was the killing curse-"

"So Death Eaters?" challenged Silvanna. "Why would they want to kill our mum? She was a pureblood."

"We don't believe it was the work of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," said Thompson gravely. "In truth, we have no leads to the offender. Perhaps someone your mother knew? Your father?"

"He's a muggle," said Silvanna.

"I think not then," said Thompson. He hesitated a moment before speaking again. "We think the spell used to mimic the effects of drowning was the Contortus Charm, which leaves little to no magical signature. Because of this, and the fact that our department is so overwhelmed at the minute, we have decided to close the case. We won't be investigating any further, and we hope you and your family can come to peace with the events that have taken place."

"Come to peace?" demanded Silvanna. "How can we come to peace when my mum's murderer is walking free?"

"That's quite enough, Silvanna," said Dumbledore. "Auror Thompson is right. What you need right now is space and time. Thank you," he added to the Auror, who promptly left with a small nod towards the twins. "Severus? You're very quiet."

"I'm fine," said Severus quietly. "Can we go?"

"Yes, you can," said Dumbledore. "Best of luck to you both. And remember: help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

*****

It was an unusually sunny evening, and Silvanna and Remus were studying together under a beech tree by the lake before the full moon hit. "I'll cover your rounds tonight, if you want," said Silvanna, glancing up at him.

"Thank you," he said quietly. "At least Lily won't give you so much grief this time."

"Got plenty of that thanks," said Silvanna. "Dead mum and all."

"Silvanna!" exclaimed Remus. "You can't say stuff like that!"

"Why not?" said Silvanna, with the smallest of cheeky smiles.

"Oh my God," said Remus, smiling faintly and shaking his head. He looked off into the distance, and his face dropped into one of confusion. "Oh my God," he repeated, slower this time.

"What?" asked Silvanna. "What is it?" She followed his eyeline, and saw three figures across the other side of the like, racing at full-pelt. "Is that...is that Severus?"

"Looks like it," said Remus, narrowing his eyes at the figure in front. As they neared, Silvanna could hear him yelping, along with the sound of hooves and loud barks.

"Merlin, that's a dog!" said Silvanna, jumping at her realisation. "And...and a deer?"

"A stag," corrected Remus. "It looks like a stag. A male deer."

"I know what a stag is," said Silvanna with a smile. "Oh, this is just too funny."

They watched as Severus sprinted around the lake side, dropping a book or two as he went and the dog and stag bounded towards him. Silvanna was surprised at his speed in all honesty.

That evening Silvanna walked around with Lily, testing each other on their various subjects. "How's Severus doing?"

"I don't know," said Lily, sounding truthful. "I haven't seen him since the funeral."

"How come?"

"Can't find him anywhere," Lily said. "He just seems to disappear. I've been spending time with Louisa instead."

"Are you worried about him?" asked Silvanna.

"Not really."

"Me neither." Lily frowned at her. "I just can't be bothered to, when he clearly doesn't give two shits about me." They walked in silence for a bit. "I told them. About my dad. I told McGonagall and Dumbledore."

"That was really brave of you, Silvanna." Silvanna was sick of people saying that. "What do you think will happen?"

"We'll end up with my grandparents," she said. In truth, she'd thought a lot about it, and there really wasn't anywhere else they could be sent. "They're the only relatives we've got apart from our dad."

"Aren't they the ones that tried to marry you off with Black?" asked Lily, a sly smile on her face.

"How did you know about that?" demanded Silvanna.

"Everyone knows about that!" said Lily. "Pettigrew thought it was the funniest thing to ever happen."

"It was quite hilarious," agreed Silvanna.