꧁~His Family Dinner~(LX)꧂

c.60

Locking eyes, I had no words left in my mouth. Brain processing what had just happened:

Techno's mother said yes.

None of us had spoken for around a minute, letting the facts sink into our conscience, melt into our brains.

With the different glances passed along the room, I knew that I, in some way, was walking on thin ice.

~~~~

I rubbed my eyes, looking at myself in the mirror.

I look so... pathetic, so weary.

Running my hands under the cold water, the soap began to wash away, leaving only bubbles to slide down the drain. Drying the wetness from my skin, I made my way out of the bathroom and down the hall.

"Hey, María?" a feminine voice called out my name.

As I turned around, I was met face-to-face with Lily.

"Yes?"

The taller girl asked, "can I talk to you for a moment?"

I nodded my head, thinking nothing of the anything as I walked into a different room with her.

We stood in what appeared to be another lounge area, only this one had a bar and a larger tv.

"What's the matter?"

"Well, listen, I know you said that you and Techno aren't dating," her hand motions matched her body movements, "but... have you never considered the fact that he might like you?"

"Or that you might like him."

My mind went blank, every part of me was stuck, as if the time wasn't moving.

"That he might like you," "Or that you might like him."

Like pouring rain on a metal roof, those words pounded into my head.

"María?"

Straight into her eyes I looked, and straight out of my mouth, I said, "I don't know, I can't- I don't know what to say."

It was the truth, I had no idea what was going on, not with myself, not with the sentences stuck to the tip of my tongue, not with my thoughts, not with anything in that moment.

~~~~

In the back of my mind, I knew that those thoughts had come up once or twice.

Or at least, thoughts along those lines.

They were always simple prospects and assessments, nothing that ever made me stop and think for more than a few seconds. Nothing worth pursuing or giving a second thought to.

Could it really be that all this time, I was oblivious to all the questions left unanswered?

"María?"

Breaking away from conflict, my eyes met the ones that stared right at me.

"María, are you okay?"