Chapter 39

They heard a loud scream followed by an explosion.

That can't be true!

A riot broke out.

"We're being attacked, everyone to their positions!"

"The prisoner, he fled!"

Aleks had no time. Lucan freed himself from his position in Aleks' robe and jumped to the ground.

Run Aleks! Jump over the wall!

The little panther turned into a big one and sprinted along the terrace at lightning speed. With one swift movement, he jumped over the parapet into the depths.

Aleks ran after him. While he was running, his hood fell from his head, exposing his blonde hair.

The demon who had helped him screamed and pursued him.

Shit, shit, shit. The end of the terrace came into view.

Jump!

Aleks didn't have time to think about it. He jumped over the parapet not knowing how far the fall would be or what awaited him on the other side. With a "LUCAN, YOU ASSHOLE!" he flung himself over the wall.

He fell a few yards before something caught him. He landed on the back of a giant white eagle which shot up into the air. My heart. Aleks breathed heavily.

Yet this asshole is saving you.

"Lucan?" he gasped.

Yes, kid?

Relieved, Aleks let himself sink forward.

Lucan took a sharp turn and flew over the fortress towards the forest. They would make it.

At least that's what Aleks thought until Lucan suddenly swerved sharply, causing Aleks to almost fall off of his back. An arrow shot past, just a few inches away from them.

They're attacking us. Hold on tight, kid.

Archers tried to shoot them from the sky and a few winged demons pursued them with swords.

Aleks laid down flat and clutched Lucan's neck as the eagle dodged the arrows using daring maneuvers.

Out of nowhere, a fireball hit his left wing. The eagle cried out and they started plummeting through the air. Lucan tried to slow their fall as best he could but was unable to prevent them from crashing to the ground.

Aleks landed a few meters away from him.

Lucan shifted to his zero form. His left arm was broken, and he had suffered severe burns. Damn.

The impact had squeezed all of the air out of Aleks' lungs. He couldn't move, needing a few moments of stillness to regain his breath. Lucan had intercepted most of his fall. So, he himself had only suffered a few scrapes and bruises. After catching his breath, he scrambled up and went to his ally, who was sprawled on the ground. He knew that the demons could arrive at any moment.

He wouldn't be able to escape them, but Lucan had a chance. They aren't allowed to find him. Of course...

"Lucan, can you hear me?" Lucan nodded dazedly. "Turn into the little cat," Aleks ordered, but his ally didn't seem to understand why he should. "No time for explanation, do it!"

The kid is serious. He had to trust him because he knew that the boy was planning something. He underwent the painful transformation. Even in the Panther form, his injuries were clearly visible.

Aleks took the little injured panther and ran to a group of trees. He carefully put it in front of the bushes, next to a large tree. Then he took off his top and wrapped Lucan so that nothing more could be seen of him.

"My smell will cover yours. They're going to assume you've run away," he said in a calm voice.

How can he be so selfless? Lucan didn't know how to respond.

Carefully, Aleks pushed the bundle deeper into the bushes. Then he sat down and, in his exhaustion, leaned against the tree trunk.

The constant need to use his abilities in the hours following his abduction had eaten away at his strength. Not to mention the fact that he hadn't eaten or drank for hours. All of this was now taking its toll.

He briefly closed his eyes and waited for the enemy. He had to rest in order to be able to carry out one last counterattack. He listened to the wind and heard footsteps approaching from a distance. Bel... find me.

_________________________

Hello my mice,

I know it's a very short chapter, but the next one is very long. I didn't want to separate it because it wouldn't have fit. So you can look forward to thunderous excitement!

Best regards,

your Mouse Goddess