Chapter 54

It was a peaceful day. Birds were chirping, the sun was bright. The sounds of Cone and Nero, blades meeting, broke the peaceful silence. Aleks had made himself comfortable on the terrace and was watching the two warriors while pretending to read a book.

Nero would later practice a few flight maneuvers with him. Aleks was able to keep himself up in the air with difficulty if someone took him up there. He was supposed to practice dodging attacks from the ground, already knowing that he would most likely rush around like a drunken chicken and crash.

Aleks sighed and watched as the two warriors effortlessly played a cat-and-mouse game. You can say what you want, but Cone is one of the best fighters with weapons out there. He knew he could learn a lot from him – with emphasis could. Cone still refused to teach him, let alone talk to him at all. He was, in his eyes, a weakness that would inevitably kill his leader.

He sighed again, knowing he was right. But how was he supposed to improve if he still refused to train him? How can I convince him that I want to do everything I can, to change that?

Cone and Nero took a break. Nero came up to Aleks and greeted him with a smile.

"Well, are you mentally prepared for our training?" the demon asked, who was visibly out of breath.

Aleks replied, "I can't wait. If I manage to avoid the attacks, I will no longer be an easy target for shooters."

Cone made a pejorative sound and walked wordlessly past Aleks. Anger rose in Aleks, and he followed him to the entrance hall. He grabbed Cone's upper arm and brought him to a standstill.

"If you have a problem, say it to my face. I'm getting tired of it, your constant pejorative sounds and looks..." But he couldn't finish his sentence because he flew in a high arc over Cone's shoulder and crashed to the ground.

The air was squeezed out of his lungs and escaped with a loud huff.

"Do you want me to say it in your face? Then listen well, because I won't be repeating myself. You are a little weakling, an obstacle that will surely cost my leader his life. You are wasting our time on pointless training attempts because ultimately you will freeze at the first sign of danger and let yourself be killed.

It will be better if you just wait in a safe room until the danger is over and don't get around like a walking target. Where is your oh-so-great power with which you apparently killed Rukia?"

Aleks remained silent. He had expected it, but he wasn't prepared for the fact that it could hurt so much.

"What do you want to hear from me? That I totally agree with you? That you're right? Yes, you are right, but I am trying to do everything in my power to prevent this. Rome was not built in a day."

"Weak remains weak," he was harshly interrupted by Cone. Everything about his posture screamed hatred and dislike.

"Listen, I..."

"Help! A healer, immediately!" Lao shouted, dragging a motionless person out of the portal by the entrance hall.

Bright, blood-encrusted red-blond curls hung over Lao's shoulders, which belonged to a petite female demon. A red trail of blood ran across the ground and ended at the point where Lao's legs buckled, and she sank to the ground.

"You have to save her!" she shouted desperately.

Cone and the staff looked shocked.

"Put her on the table in the room next door," Aleks shouted. Everyone looked at him in amazement. Lao and the others carried the injured to the next room.

"What's the point, weakling. She has to go to...", Cone began but was sharply interrupted by Aleks.

"Shut the fuck up. You are a warrior, I am a doctor. I know what I'm doing," Aleks interrupted him in a cold voice.