Chapter 43

Laughter echoed throughout the hallway. A little blond whirlwind with blue eyes ran through the corridors of the orphanage of Saint Mary's Monastery. Excited, he ran away from his pursuer, Lisa. A 4 inch smaller brunette girl with the largest saucer eyes he had ever seen.

"Xan, wait!" she shouted. He slowed down a bit so she could catch up.

Then he stepped out into the courtyard. Pink leaves from the blossoming apple trees covered the ground, making it look like a sea of pink clouds. Lisa had finally reached up to him. He took a pile of petals and threw them at the little girl.

"Cheers to the little princess!" he shouted and Lisa span in a circle whilst laughing.

"Can you shut up? You are annoying," shouted a voice from a stone bench at the other end of the courtyard.

Their laughter fell silent. Aleks took Lisa by the hand and walked with her across the square courtyard to the black-haired older boy who was bent over a book scribbling some numbers on a piece of paper.

"Leon, why are you so mean?" he asked him.

"Because you get on my nerves with your behavior. You laugh all the time. As if we have something to laugh about," he said with an embittered expression.

Leon had been informed a week ago that he wouldn't be adopted but would be put into foster care. He had always dreamed since his best friend was adopted, that he would too, now it seemed impossible. Since then, he had built a cold wall around himself and hurt the other children,

He wouldn't stop. Why should he? It was better they were aware of the reality before having meaningless dreams that could never come true.

"What's wrong with you?" Aleks asked as Leon bitterly laughed.

"You just have to talk. You are a walking bucket full of joy Aleksander. But you have no reason to do so."

"Why do you say that?" Aleks asked.

"Quite simply, even an "angel" like you was thrown away. If no one wants you, who's going to want us?" Leon answered with hatred in his voice.

Thrown away?

Leon knew the little one didn't understand, so he had to make it clearer.

"Have you ever wondered why you don't have parents, Aleksander? The answer is simple. They threw you away. Like a broken toy they didn't need anymore."

Each of these words cut into his little heart. He was only five years old yet he understood the meaning of these words.

"They didn't throw me away," Aleks said, with tears in his eyes.

"Ah, they didn't? Where is your mom then?" Leon asked in return. Aleks grabbed the amulet he was wearing around his neck. The only thing he had left of his mother.

"She will come. She will come and get me."

Leon just laughed spitefully, "Of course she will. Just like we'll all find new families. Give it up. You will be alone forever. Nobody wants you."

Aleks had enough. Lisa had started crying so he gently dragged her along. After taking Lisa to her room, he ran out of the front door to the playground, which was two streets away from the orphanage.

He sat down on the swing and watched the other children play. Thoughtfully, he rocked back and forth. Gradually, the children were picked up by their parents. He stayed behind, alone on a swing. She will come and get me.

Hours passed, so he had to go home, no that was wrong, he had to go back to the orphanage. Even though he was so young, he knew it. Knew that he had been placed on the stairs of the church as a newborn. With one last swing, he rocked forward and jumped. He landed on both legs.