Chapter 44

Sweat flowed from his arm. From the right, he moved past his opponent as fast as lightning. With a turn, he circled him and dribbled the ball through his feet. With a pass, he threw the ball to his best friend Cody. Cody caught it, dunking it into the basket.

"Nice!" Cody shouted as they gave each other a high-five.

"Oh come on Aleks, have a little bit of pity on us and have mercy," Jack said as Aleks laughed.

"Then you have to move a little more next time. You also have feet," he said with a mischievous grin. Jack made an offended pose.

"Even if I moved my feet, we wouldn't stand a chance against the golden duo. You can read each other's minds! You can't possibly always know where the other person stands," he grumbled.

Well, that's called compatibility. Aleks and Cody were perfectly matched. They've been best friends since middle school. Now they were in their last year before graduation.

Cody was an inch taller than Aleks and had short black hair and dark eyes. He had a slight beard and a dimple on the left cheek when he laughed. Next to his left eye was a beauty spot that he eagerly hated. Aleks himself had undergone a growth spurt in the last three years, so he was getting closer and closer in height to Cody.

Cody ruffled Aleks' neck-length hair and said, "Well, that's bropathy. We just know what the other person is thinking."

He handed Aleks his half-full water bottle. Aleks gratefully accepted it. Then they heard squeaks from the left side of the hall.

"Did the newcomer put on another show?" Jack asked.

The newcomer was a six feet tall muscular young man with hair reaching his chin and an undercut. He wore a piercing on his lip and looked hot.

Aleks wiped his mouth with his hand because he feared he had drooled. Yes, he was the wet dream of all girls. Unfortunately, not only the girls had the hots for him. Even Aleks couldn't help but feel attracted to him.

Cody looked at Aleks and wanted to comment about it, but Aleks was too focused. His gaze wasn't on the cheerleaders but the newcomer. His gaze was... hot? Cody was confused. A second later, those blue eyes looked at him.

"Will you be unfaithful to me?" Cody slipped. Heaven, what nonsense am I talking about?

Aleks' face took on an unfathomable expression for a brief moment, then his grin returned. Cody was taken into a headlock and Aleks' fist rubbed over his head.

"Don't talk nonsense, you'll always be my number one."

Hearing these words, a strange feeling spread in Cody's chest. What was that?

After training, Aleks quickly went home. His foster family ate at 6 p.m. and he didn't want to be late. When his cell phone rang, he noticed that he had received a message from Cody.

<Are you free tonight? 8 p.m. at the fountain.>

Aleks replied quickly, then went to the kitchen to help his foster mother cook.

When Aleks arrived at the meeting place, Cody was already there. The "fountain" was an abandoned fountain in the east area of the city. It was circular and in the middle of it was a small pillar on which twins sat. Each one of the two males had a trumpet in their mouth, from which the water used to flow. Little men with other instruments danced around them. Moss and dark spots covered the stone walls.

Cody said he had discovered it during one of their adventures and chosen it as their regular place. It was a bit off the track, so fewer people passed by, but it was all well lit.