Chapter 71

Belial looked horrified at Nix, but he disappeared in one swoop. He disintegrated into dozens of ravens fluttering around wildly, looking for the way out. Had he really been here?

Aleks hyperventilated. Nix had sent him a message in his head just before his departure. 'My little angel, get ready for battle, as it lurks just around the corner.' What did that mean? Fight? Here? In the corner?

He looked at his mate with wide eyes. Just as he was about to address Belial, he noticed a movement at the back.

Belial felt only a breeze. Suddenly, Aleks pulled him aside. From the corner of his eye, he saw how he fended off an approaching dagger with his knife. Then Aleks ran off as his feet began to glow. With force, he pushed himself off the ground and jumped down to the first floor. He landed on the parapet and pulled a figure with him. He threw them over the railing so that it fell down a good three meters and hit the ground.

Aleks dropped from above and landed with a roll. He pulled the figure up from the collar and rammed the knife into his shoulder – nailing it to the wall. The demon screamed.

The guests who were nearby retreated, to a safe distance. "Who are you and why did you attack my mate?" Aleks' asked in a cold voice.

Those present were surprised, panicked, stunned. Aleks had just shown his warrior side. He wasn't the cute little mate. He was a warrior who had just pinned an enemy to the wall. Rational, calculating. The demon, one of Behemoth's servants, laughed.

"I'm not going to say anything. It's already too late. You can't prevent it."

Mammon had stepped up from behind Aleks. Aleks stepped aside.

"Whoever you are, you're going to talk," she said.

Aleks returned to Belial and said nothing. The crowd made way for him. Belial looked at his mate. What happened? How could he have seen the attack? Who is this demon? He carefully touched Aleks' hand.

"Belial, we're leaving now," he said hurriedly. He wasn't able to read Aleks' expression.

A new cry echoed through the room, Mammon had torn off the demon's arm and he was screaming in pain.

"Behemoth, who is that?" she asked the host, who had rushed to them.

"I don't know him. He isn't one of my servants, even if he is wearing those clothes," Behemoth said without emotion. Then he called for his guards.

"I will have him interrogated in the dungeon."

Mammon didn't seem to like that but said nothing. But it was Behemoth's land, so he had the right to interrogate him first. With an indistinguishable gaze, she looked at Asmodai, then at Belial and Aleksander. Aleksander pulled his demon by his arm towards the exit.

"Aleks, why are you in such a hurry to leave?" Belial asked his mate. He felt his panic and inner turmoil. Aleks pulled him towards the exit.

"We're leaving now," he replied. No explanation. What's wrong with him?

Suddenly all the doors and windows closed shut. What's going on? Belial saw Aleks bang on the door. It didn't move.

Why are the doors locked? Even Behemoth didn't seem to know what was going on.

A giggle sounded from the middle of the hall. A small, about 4.9-inch tall demon with long ash-blonde curls, brown eyes, and a childlike grin on her face lifted something into the air. The girl's lavender dress rustled as she moved. She giggled again. Suddenly the item which was on her hand began to shine.

A pressure wave caught off guard all those who were present. It felt like a punch to their stomach. Many bent over and went down on their knees, only few withstood it. Then, suddenly, countless magical circles lit up on the floor. A circle appeared under each demon and a barrier shot upwards, enclosing it.