Chapter 59

Calm down, Aleks. He won't eat you. Remember, just stand still, next to Belial and let him do the talking. You can do it. Aleks gulped as they stepped out of the portal that led to Astaroth's estate. He grasped his mate's hand as they walked side by side with his gaze lowered. Belial squeezed his hand. It's all good, Tsuka. Steady your heartbeat, adapt it to mine. If only it were that easy!

The lobby was about ten times bigger than the one in Belial's estate. However, it wasn't overly decorated. The walls were bare stone walls void of any decorations. No paintings, no drawings, nothing. Only the light dispensers protruded out from the walls. It reminded Aleks of the castles he read about in books. Astaroth is a minimalist demon. He doesn't see any importance in showing off unnecessarily.

They walked down the entrance hall and stopped in front of a large iron door. It opened up to give them a view of a large room. However, it wasn't a throne room that Aleks envisioned. There was a row of seating chairs in the middle of the room around a low table. Towards the back, there was a table with many documents on it – a desk? - next to a large bar table, which looked be used for strategic meetings. the walls had numerous shelves that were full of books and documents. A modern office?

"Ah, you've arrived," said a voice from the back left corner.

A demon with neck-length black hair and yellow eyes stood in front of a shelf with a book in his hand. If Aleks had to estimate his age, he would be in his late twenties, or early thirties. He wore chic black pants, a white shirt, and a jacket decorated with iron crosses on his shoulders.

He was very beautiful. He had a narrow nose with high cheekbones. The hair that fell on his face towards the front made him look younger than he probably was. The shirt was slightly knotted at the top so that a part of a black tribal mark – several circles and ornaments that Aleks couldn't recognize – were visible on his light skin.

The demon closed the book and put it back and he came up to them.

"Astaroth, my prince, it was a pleasure for me to be able to accept your invitation to come here," Belial said, bowing. Aleks did it silently after him. Astaroth frowned.

"Why so formal? What did you do?" Huh? Aleks thought he had misheard.

"Be that as it may, sit down first."

They took their seats across from the demon. Astaroth took a casual pose and waved down a servant to bring him something to drink. This is Astaroth? A prince of hell? Aleks had imagined him quite differently.

"Disappointed?" Astaroth asked.

"E-Excuse me?" Aleks stuttered.

"Your expression is a mixture of bewilderment and confusion. So, I concluded that you must have imagined my appearance very differently."

"Um, Your Highness. I apologize if this insulted you."

That's all Aleks could say. Astaroth looked at Belial and said, "You really are a cruel mate."

Huh? Aleks looked at his demon and saw the corners of his mouth twitch.

"Did you screw with me?" he asked him, not paying any heed about where they were.

"No, Tsuka, I just kept a few details to myself. You should be able to imagine all you want

A servant put down the drinks.

"Looks like the ice-cold shadow has learned what humor is. So, you are his said heart?" Astaroth asked, taking a sip from his cup.

"Already, your high-"